Sugar to alcohol conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperCrossBun

Reaction score
Hey guys, Just started out making beer. Bottled my first batch, Coopers Australian Pale Ale, this week. Already ordered another can, Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale, and want to play around with the recipe. I just want to know how do I know how much sugar/light dry malt/glucose to add? The recipe requires about 1kg, but how do I know how strong it will be?
100g of sugar per liter = X% alcohol is what I'm really asking. How much sugar do I add for 6/7/8% beer?
My APA is about 4.3% according to to the hydrometer and formula.

What I'm planning for my Belgian Ale:
400g dextrose
200g maltodextrin
200g candi sugar
300g light dry malt

Thanks for any advice!

Maltodextrin is only 5% fermentable at most. It's used for increased mouthfeel & gives a bit of creamy flavor. I'd cut the maltodextrin & dextrose. And add a 3lb bag of plain light DME & keep the candi sugar.

Do the math. OG-FG*131.25.

There are potential extract tables out there that will tell you how many points per/X each adjunct will add. I recommend a software such as BeerSmith, as well. It, or something like it, is indispensable if you plan on modifying recipes.

Do the math. OG-FG*131.25.

There are potential extract tables out there that will tell you how many points per/X each adjunct will add. I recommend a software such as BeerSmith, as well. It, or something like it, is indispensable if you plan on modifying recipes.

Or, for the order of operations sticklers: (OG-FG)*131.25

:fro:

How do you know what the FG will be though?

You estimate it based on your recipe (including yeast). Light beers, pale ales and IPAs generally finish lower (say 1.005-1.010) whereas bigger beers like stouts, porters, etc. would finish in the teens (ie. 1.019). The actual FG is measured with the hydrometer and is only "final" when it doesn't change over several days.

Yup. The FG is what you measure as stable when you test it over a couple days & the numbers don't change. Then you plug the OG & FG into a formula.

I know how to calculate ABV, what is fermentable and what isn't, how to get FG etc.
And I saw a calculator that works out OG, but do I just have to guess what the FG will when making a recipe?

I know how to calculate ABV, what is fermentable and what isn't, how to get FG etc.
And I saw a calculator that works out OG, but do I just have to guess what the FG will when making a recipe?

well, yeah. Because there's no way of telling what it will actually be other than reasonable guesses. How fermentable the wort is (how much adjunct fermentables like sugar vs. how many malts, some of which are less fermentable than others, what mash temp were starches converted at, what yeast is being used and what is the average attenuation% of that yeast?)

Back