Recipe critique?? What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheepbeer

Reaction score
I put my ingredients into the brew calculator... Does this look like a tasty dark beer? Any opinions or suggestions welcome.:fro:

OG 1.068
FG 1.017
IBU 23
ABV 6.6 %
SRM 44

Specifics
Boil Volume 5.3 gallons
Batch Size 5.0 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
30.3 % 3.00 Dark Dry Malt Extract 25.2 48.0
44.4 % 4.40 Liquid Malt Extract Syrup 29.9 1.8
10.1 % 1.00 Roasted Barley 4.4 90.0
10.1 % 1.00 German Pilsener 5.7 0.3
5.1 % 0.50 Molasses 2.9 1.0
9.90 68.0

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
50.0 % 1.00 Mount Hood Whole/Plug 5.0 5.0 60 0.203 15.2
50.0 % 1.00 Mount Hood Whole/Plug 5.0 5.0 15 0.101 7.5
2.00 22.8

are you going to mash the german pilsener, if not it is useless.

Other than that it looks ok to me, Maybe a little crystal in place of the pilsner malt

If you're doing a mini-mash to add to the extract you will need the pilsner in there to help convert. But you could still add some crystal.

Hmm... Here where my inexperience needs guidance. Im assuming by mini mash you mean to mash & boil the grains then add the extracts later?

I thought I could steep the grains for 45 minutes in a 3 gallon boil then add my extracts in a 45 as well. Or better to mash at 155 degrees for an hour? Then add to my hour boiled other wort?

Just do all extract dude. Can the pilsner malt and replace it with the adequate amount of LME. Based on how your talking, may just wanna do an extract brew this time.

Tomorrow, during your boil, read up on partial mash procedures and do a partial mash for your next brew. There's a great procedure for it on HBT by death brewer... I think that's his name. Anyways, it's a very popular one with good pics.

Good luck man, your all extract recipe will turn out good.

^How to Brew is a great source! Pick up a copy of the book because the free online version isn't updated although the vast majority of it is still relevant. If you're just getting going I'd stick to steeping grains and then adding extract. You only need to step the specialty grains (ie. crystals, roasted grains, ect) and you don't really need something like pilsner in there because you are just going for the flavor, color and aroma. Check out Northern Brewer's extract kits. They have really good step by step instructions.

OK I steeped the grains (2 lbs total Pilsner & roasted barley) up to 155 degrees in 2 gallons water, turned off the heat and covered and let sit for 40 minutes. (Ended up with about 1 1/2 gallons rich toasty tasting thick brew that tasted real good.)

I then boiled my 3 1/2 gallons water and added the Molasses & a 1 pound of dextrose and also the steeped (Mashed?) grain wort I made & first oz of MT Hood hops.... let roll boil for about 15 minutes.

Stirred in the 3 lbs of dry dark malt extract and let boil for 40 minutes straight before stirring in 4.4 lbs of regular LME.

added last oz of Mt Hood hops and let roll for 5 more minutes. Then put into ice bath sink. topped with cold water to 5.5 gals. added yeast nutrient.

Im getting 2 pkgs of Danstar windsor yeast ready in lukewarm water & wort while it cools.

Overall Has a roasty choco hop flavor.

Left the hops in the wort. Got an OG of 1.062

One of the reasons I post this is so I can come back later for memory.... and some may find it interesting to watch me mess with this. Lots of fun.

Im thinking about adding some lactose to sweeten it up a bit. Should I wait until before bottling?

This turned out to be my best beer yet. Next time I will make it a 6 gallon batch... Very good taste, extremely thick and rich. Tasted great after 7 days in 220z bottles ... better after 14.

Back