Safabrew wb-06 fermentation issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
I brewed my first ever AG American Wheat beer. The Brew day went great. Hit my target OG right on the nose. I rehydrated a package of Safabrew wb-06 and pitched it. Fermentation started nice and quick. There was a good deal of blowoff as I used a 5 gallon carboy. Fermentation the ceased for a couple days straight. After trying to give the carboy a nice jolt to see if it would start again it didn't) I bought another packet of wb-06, rehydrated it, and pitched it. Fermentation started again and continued (slowly) for the next couple days. It seems fermentation has stopped (2days ago) , and I took a gravity reading today.

The numbers:

temperature of baement: 70
OG: 1.046
Stuck gravity: 1.026
current gravity: 1.016

this puts me at 4% abv. Am I getting bad batches of yeast or will wb-06 just not go any lower on the hydrometer? Ive never used this strain before....

Do you recall what temp you mashed? or have your ingredients? there are a number of factors to consider as to why it finished that high. I don't have experience with that specific yeast, but looking at the specs listed on their site: http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safbrew_WB-06_HB.pdf it says final gravity will be high, so that may just be the strain (but again, mash temp and ingredients will contribute as well)

Back