looking for hop overload

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
i'm getting these kits and i just wanted to get some feed back from some with more exper. than i have. i love a good hoppy beer. barley wines, IPA's, Pale Ales. if its hoppy, i want it. what i'm hoping is that these 2 kits will satisfy my craving for the bitter side of life. let me know what you all think!!

first kit;
Double IPA

Specialty Grains
0.75 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.25 lbs. Briess Caramel 120

Fermentables
12 lbs. Pale Malt Syrup

Boil Additions
1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
1 oz. Liberty (30 min)
1 oz. Yakima Magnum (10 min)
2 oz. Northern Brewer (Leaf) (0 min)

Special Ingredients
1 oz. Cascade Hops (dry hop)

Yeast
Wyeast #1332 Northwest Ale Yeast. One of the classic ale strains from the Northwest U.S. Breweries. Produces a malty and mildly fruity ale with good depth and complexity. Flocculation: high. Apparent attenuation: 67-71%. Optimum temperature: 65-75.
this one also say that it gets close to the 90 IBU mark.

second kit;
Three Hearted Ale

Specialty Grains
1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40

Fermentables
9.3 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup

Boil Additions
1 oz. Centennial (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (20 min)
2 oz. Centennial (5 min)

Special Ingredients
1 oz. Centennial Hops (dry hop)

Yeast
Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast. Slight residual diacetyl and fruitiness; great for stouts. Clean, smooth, soft and full-bodied. Flocculation: medium. Apparent attenuation: 71-75%. Optimum temperature: 62-72.

i'm hoping these will be hoppy enough for my tastes. thank you for looking and thank you in advance for any replys

They both sound good. Cascades is a bit overworked in the Pacific Northwest in my opinion, but it doesthe job.

That sounds good. My personal preference when I make IPA is the Three C's, (Cent. Chin. Cas. in that order) but that just me.

any one else?? i know that cascade is used alot, but this is a kit beer so i don't really have a choice. i haven't brewed in about 8 years, so i'm going to do a few kits to get back into the swing of things. my memory seems to be pretty good about brewing though(from what i can tell before my stuff comes) one book that i have read and think is great is "brewing the worlds great beers" it has tons of stuff in it, recipes, how to's it even teaches ag brewing. worth a look. i must have studied this book for about 6 months because there was so much info in it!!

Back