Kegging issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipajay

Reaction score
Need some assistance. I have a keg setup I have used once with no issue. I went to keg today and the valve that you open (not on the tank) to control the pressure does nada. I "pull to adjust", try to adjust and no pressure applies. Is it stripped? If so is it a costly fix? Thanks in advance.

Are you referring to the regulator? I'm not familiar with a "pull to adjust" mechanism on CO2 regulators - could you perhaps point to a link for the regulator you're using?

Also, are you sure the tank still has any CO2 in it? If you have any doubt, there will be a "Tare Weight" stamped into the tank, usually near the neck, that reflects the weight of the empty tank with just its valve. You could remove the regulator and weigh the tank to see if there's any gas left...

Cheers!

Ok, from all accounts that's a very good regulator. I wasn't aware that the knob has a ratchet, makes sense to keep it from being inadvertently changed.

So does the main pressure gauge (at the far left in the linked pic) show something in the neighborhood of 800 psi?

Cheers!

Its at about 600. Its odd when I pull the knob out it spins freely but there is no pressure.

About 600? Is the tank at room temperature or is it in a fridge?

And just for sanity check sake (because just this week someone else was turning it the wrong way) are you turning the regulator knob clockwise to increase pressure?

Cheers!

turns out the regulator has an issue. I got it from kegconnection.com and its worth pointing out they send send it on back and they will take care of it. You cant beat good service, especially nowadays! Thanks for all the input!

how long did you try turning it for? there is sometimes quite a bit of travel before the screw hits the valve inside. if you only turned it a few times before giving up, the screw probably didnt even get to open the valve. there are only like 4 major parts in these regulators, so its very rare that there is a big problem like the regulator completely not working. usually its user error instead of a defect.

pull the knob out to unlock it. turn the knob all the way counter-clockwise untill it either stops or unscrews entirely. then, turn it clockwise untill it either stops or gas comes out. if it stops before gas comes out, then its actually faulty. obviously make sure the CO2 tank valve is open first.

kegconnection.com does have very good service.

I got it from kegconnection.com and its worth pointing out they send send it on back and they will take care of it. You cant beat good service, especially nowadays!

Actually I'd say that's mediocre to poor service if you've only had the setup long enough that you're having this problem on your second keg. Good service would be if they shipped you a new one at no charge along with a prepaid shipping box to return the old one at your convenience.

That said, I'm also having some frustrations with a recent purchase from kegconnection. My regulator is also having issues and even though I'm willing to attempt a repair on my own, just getting them to respond to emails for advice on how to proceed is taking FOREVER! A phone call to the customer service number just gets me some dude that just gives me some other guy's cell phone to call, and he doesn't answer and doesn't return calls.

Combine that with their slow as molasses shipping, and I have a hard time understanding all the positive reviews they get for customer service. I'm looking hard for a new supplier for my kegging gear, and I have an order to place today or tomorrow, so this is bad timing on their part to be slacking off on the customer service.

What's the general consensus on kegcowboy.com? Worth giving them a shot at my business? Or should I just suck it up and buy from Midwest? They're high on their kegging gear, but I know from long experience with them that their customer service is top notch.

Back