Northern Brewer: 4 cornies/$60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty good price on used kegs from Northern Brewer. They're running a sale, 4 used kegs for $60. Shipping was about $20 to me, so about $20 a pop, all-in, for pressure-tested kegs. Strikes me as a pretty damn good deal, that's as cheap as you'll find from Craigslist or eBay, and you're getting them from a very reputable company.

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=K028

Now, I've got these four coming, plus three coming from sailman (plus all the other equipment I'll need), so I should be all set for the foreseeable future.

the_bird said:
Pretty good price on used kegs from Northern Brewer. They're running a sale, 4 used kegs for $60. Shipping was about $20 to me, so about $20 a pop, all-in, for pressure-tested kegs. Strikes me as a pretty damn good deal, that's as cheap as you'll find from Craigslist or eBay, and you're getting them from a very reputable company.

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=K028

Now, I've got these four coming, plus three coming from sailman (plus all the other equipment I'll need), so I should be all set for the foreseeable future.

Good find. I'm pretty set right now with my 6 cornies, but if I need another I know where to go. Glad to see someone is pricing them correctly.

And to think - 6 months ago I was thinking about getting rid of my second fridge because I didn't need it for food! Thank <insert your deity of choice> I rediscovered homebrewing! :D

Orpheus said:
I got the email, too! Fantastic deal.

Cheese, it's for a limited time only, so you might not want to wait on it.

Same price I got them for off of eBay.

My 'rator holds three kegs, so I'll have an additional three for aging. That's pretty good for me.

Orpheus said:
I got the email, too! Fantastic deal.

Cheese, it's for a limited time only, so you might not want to wait on it.

Yeah, I got the email too, unfortunately the SWMBO was looking over my shoulder and said " oh, good thing you don't need anymore so you don't have to spend the money.." Do'h!!

omniscientomar said:
Yeah, I got the email too, unfortunately the SWMBO was looking over my shoulder and said " oh, good thing you don't need anymore so you don't have to spend the money.." Do'h!!

Omar,

Say this to her: "Well darling, I could get in on this amazing deal and get four now, or wait until I need one and they're not on sale and pay the same price for ONLY ONE KEG!"

(plus throw in something about Northern Brewer saving children in Africa or something...)

Orpheus said:
Say this to her: "Well darling, I could get in on this amazing deal and get four now, or wait until I need one and they're not on sale and pay the same price for ONLY ONE KEG!"

See, I had no plans to buy more kegs, and I *really* hope this come on a day when I'm home before the wife... but I know I'll want/need more than three, especially since I want to dedicate one keg to experimenting with making some less sickly-sweet soda pop for us. I happened to ask the guy at the HBS how much he got for kegs, and they're $35. I almost bought four from pedalbiker for $90+shipping. If I end up not using all seven (and I know the odds of that are nil), I can always turn around and re-sell these to my buddy homebrewers for $20 and get my money back. So, I had to jump on this.

or heck.. you could buy 4, and resell 2 on ebay for the same price... make your money back and get 2 free kegs..

I got excited, then really sad once I found out shipping would be ~$100 to AK :confused:

That is a great deal. I just bought 8 kegs from www.kegconnection.com which is somewhat local to Austin, Texas for $19.73 a keg. This guy has great customer service. Each keg was cleaned inside with hot water and PBW and pressure tested. He also threw in a complete set of O-rings for each keg at that price. He sells them individually for $21.95 each.

Shipping costs can make or break a deal, so folks down South may get a better deal here.

These 8 put me up to 14 five gallon, plus my 2 three gallon and my two 2.5 gallon cornies. I'm good for a while.

I did buy new O-ring sets for the kegs, but I probably would have replaced them wherever I bought them. So, in effect, $24 per keg, shipped.

Plus, I had to buy hops anyway, and I didn't want to place an order for $7 of hops and pay $6 for shippng. Solution - spend more money!

EdWort said:
That is a great deal. I just bought 8 kegs from www.kegconnection.com which is somewhat local to Austin, Texas for $19.73 a keg. This guy has great customer service. Each keg was cleaned inside with hot water and PBW and pressure tested. He also threw in a complete set of O-rings for each keg at that price. He sells them individually for $21.95 each.

Shipping costs can make or break a deal, so folks down South may get a better deal here.

These 8 put me up to 14 five gallon, plus my 2 three gallon and my two 2.5 gallon cornies. I'm good for a while.

Does PBW smell like sprite, because I did the same thing and they all smell like sprite? I didn't care because I wasn't gonna put beer in them without cleaning them myself, but thought it was funny they smelled like that after that big claim on the website... On the other hand, kegconnection does have excellent customer service.

I currently have seven cornys but was tempted to order more from NB. I'm gonna pass though and direct the cash towards more grain and hops. :rockin:

A good soak in Oxyclean Free will work wonders. No oders at all. My local grocery store sells a 3.5 lb. for about 8 bucks.

Bird, you got a good deal. I was just quoted $40 for shipping, and that brings the delivered cost to $25/keg - a bit too high for used non-reconditioned kegs, IMHO. $10/keg seems high to me for shipping, MN to MA isn't that far.

I saw that and checked it out but like Yanos, the shipping was the deal breaker for me. (Cali)

I just got 6 kegs from Brewer's Discount: http://www.brewersdiscount.com/productCat15956.ctlg

$143 delivered.

All held pressure for the week of shipping plus a long weekend sitting at my back door.

Thet were visibly clean, O-rings looked good and mine smelled like Sprite too.

LouT said:
Bird, you got a good deal. I was just quoted $40 for shipping, and that brings the delivered cost to $25/keg - a bit too high for used non-reconditioned kegs, IMHO. $10/keg seems high to me for shipping, MN to MA isn't that far.

$40? :confused:

That doesn't make any sense; I'm not THAT far west of you! Quoted me $21 for UPS Ground.

the_bird said:
$40? :confused:

That doesn't make any sense; I'm not THAT far west of you! Quoted me $21 for UPS Ground.

They could have made a mistake. Perhaps they thought MA stood for Massouri. :D

Might be some pricing structure that UPS use... zip code, number of transfers from processing facilities, etc. I just was caught off guard, was ready to pull trigger if the whole works was about $80. Seems weird now that I'm reflecting on it, that $5/keg made it a dealbreaker to me -- but I have a pack rat FIL that will probably come up with some of these kegs for me for free if I can be patient. I have 2 ball locks and 1 pin lock now, so I'm not really in bad shape, just don't have extra kegs for long term brews like barleywines, porters, wee heavies, etc.

Nice deal, but I've got 15 of them. One of the locals bought 300 last year and was selling them based on how dinged up they were. Mine are ugly, but they hold pressure.

Wow, that's a pretty good deal. I got just about all I need from brewersdiscount. They were all cleaned and reconditioned. So far, so good.

beer4breakfast said:
Pricey. But perhaps worth it if you don't want to have to deal with sealing problems and old worn parts. Aesthetics would not be the driver for me. It would be simply knowing that the corny was in perfect condition to start with.
I'm up to a dozen used ones without any problems yet. That's $1200 in new kegs (without shipping) or less than $300 in used ones (including shipping). Even if I wound up with a few that were unusable, I'd still be way ahead.

beer4breakfast said:
How much does a newly manufactured unused corny cost, and where do you get them? I'm not buying, I'm just trying to understand where used ones fall price-wise relative to pristine new ones.

5G=$94. From what I have seen, all new ones are being made in Italy. Some places will charge up to $140. 2 1/2's and 3's are around $10-15 more. Why, I have no idea.They oughta be somewhat less, being smaller, cheaper to make, AND EXPORT! :confused: Probably ARE cheaper wholesale. Because of the shortfall (and higher used prices) of the small ones for HBers, no doubt, THEY (retailers) CAN GET IT.

Spartanburg Stainless was bought out by Franke (Germany) and moved to Texas, from S.C., and will not be making Corny style kegs anymore.

I think I'm going to check the shipping cost online. The $40 was quoted to me over the phone and it was while I was talking to them about a damaged item that came in my last shipment...
I asked him twice about the shipping, though, as if I thought it seemed out of line, but he acted sincerely like the quote was correct.
Oops, too late - they are "unavailable" in the 4-pack bargain price now. Oh well.

raceskier said:
I saw that and checked it out but like Yanos, the shipping was the deal breaker for me. (Cali)

I just got 6 kegs from Brewer's Discount: http://www.brewersdiscount.com/productCat15956.ctlg

$143 delivered.

All held pressure for the week of shipping plus a long weekend sitting at my back door.

Thet were visibly clean, O-rings looked good and mine smelled like Sprite too.
Thought this was a great deal till I saw the shipping........$92 for 4, Grand total 180 bucks!:drunk:
That was for reconditioned but still seems steep to me.

Back