When to bottle it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B192734

Reaction score
So, my Raspberry mead has been in existence since last March now. It's been racked a few times, and the last time I got almost no sediment at all out of it. Fermentation has been completely stopped, and it's been kept in the 65-68 degree temp range the entire time. I added a bit of extra must to resweeten it the last racking time. It cleared quite a bit, but does not seem to be clearing any farther. In a darker room, I can't see through it, but if it's in a lighter room I can see my hand through it. It still seems pretty dark though, and I have been figuring that it may just be the colors of the raspberries and their juice, and it's not going to clear any farther. Is it common to sometimes end up with a darker color, or will it ALWAYS clear out? I am "preparing" my bottles for it now. I am planning on bottling into 1/2 gallon wine bottles. Only have to drink one more I think...

So, the question is: Do you think it's time to bottle it up, and if it is, should I bottle and store somewhere cold? Will the cold temps allow further clearing and mellowing? Or does that actually matter?

Thanks for any thought, and everyone have a great rest of their day!

So, I'm assuming since it has been so long, that the hydrometer reading has bottomed out. Now, how does it taste? If it's still not tasting that good, it would be better to continue to bulk age.

As for the color, remember that the darkness will also be based on the volume of the container it is in. You will see noticeably different shades when you compare a carboy to a sampling tube, for example.

In the end, it's really up to you if you're ready to bottle. I don't usually bottle my meads unless I have to (i.e., I need the carboy for the next mead in the pipeline), otherwise I just let them sit.

Back