Possible Regulator problem? Brand new to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cttbax

Reaction score
I searched around a bit... can't find much on this exact probelma. I bought a used Kegarator setup off craigslist. I can get the C02 bottle to fill the cornys, but the gauges jump around and if I open the CO2 bottle up more than a crack the purge valves (not sure on the real terminology) with the key rings on em go crazy and blow off the pressure over 50 psi. So I cannot get an accurate reading on how full my CO2 bottle is (I recently filled it).

Here are some pics of my set up. Looks like welding supply store stuff. The regulators don't seem to do much of anything. Are these just cheapo regulators? Notice how the gauges don't sit at zero even when off the bottle... Should I have something else on my bottle? Am I just being an idiot? Help me out fellas PLEASE! I have a batch of winter warmer ale brewing and would like to keg this up next week!

IMG_20101211_215703.jpg

IMG_20101211_220156.jpg

IMG_20101211_221035.jpg

Sounds like a cheap regulator. I bought the more expensive regulator from Midwest, and when I was asking them about it(Midwest is my LHBS so I was in the store) they said if I could afford it to go with the american made one as it was a much higher quality and would last much longer. The regulator in the cheap kegging kits they sell are the cheap chinese version and apparently aren't as high of quality(per the employees @midwest). That does look like the regulator from their kegging kits, so it's possible it's just worn out and that's why it was posted in CL for sale.

Though call Midwest and ask, they'd probably be more than happy to offer advise.

Sounds like a cheap regulator. I bought the more expensive regulator from Midwest, and when I was asking them about it(Midwest is my LHBS so I was in the store) they said if I could afford it to go with the american made one as it was a much higher quality and would last much longer. The regulator in the cheap kegging kits they sell are the cheap chinese version and apparently aren't as high of quality(per the employees @midwest). That does look like the regulator from their kegging kits, so it's possible it's just worn out and that's why it was posted in CL for sale.

Though call Midwest and ask, they'd probably be more than happy to offer advise.

The guy from CL showed me how to hook it up and it seemed to work at the time, maybe he just barely cracked the tank. I am going to swing by my LHBS today and have them take a look. I don't mind springing for some better regulators as these are pretty cheap feeling. Buy once cry once right? I noticed when I bought it one of the gauges would not zero out, now I have both of them acting up and the regulators took a ****.... It just seems too convenient that this happened all at once...maybe I did something to break them?

Turn the knobs full counter clockwise, then open the tank. What happens now?

OH, I just actually read what you wrote...so I will tell you what happens now..lol I look like an idiot!

I screwed the regs all the way out, and now I can adjust the pressure with the bottle valve wide open and now weird blow off valve action.... Well,have a laugh on me guys!

OH, I just actually read what you wrote...so I will tell you what happens now..lol I look like an idiot!

I screwed the regs all the way out, and now I can adjust the pressure with the bottle valve wide open and now weird blow off valve action.... Well,have a laugh on me guys!

Not laughing at all!

Did you turn the control knobs all the way to the left, and then hook it up?

I watched and was going to re-emphasize the word COUNTER but I see you figured that out. The left low pressure gauge should be replaced or you may be able too tweak it to zero.

Back