Magnum Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am about to place my next order for hops, and I am considering adding magnum to my list. The bulk of my beers use aggressive west coast hops like chinook, centenial, etc..etc.. but I usually keep some willamete around in case I brew a cream ale, kolsch, southern brown or something that needs a smoother more subdued bittering and arroma. I am wondering if Magnum would be a suitable hop to use in this fashion, with the increased bittering capicity it could sure save me some $$$.

So the question is, will Magnum work well for bittering and aroma in ales that require a subdued hop profile, like cream ales?

I am about to place my next order for hops, and I am considering adding magnum to my list. The bulk of my beers use aggressive west coast hops like chinook, centenial, etc..etc.. but I usually keep some willamete around in case I brew a cream ale, kolsch, southern brown or something that needs a smoother more subdued bittering and arroma. I am wondering if Magnum would be a suitable hop to use in this fashion, with the increased bittering capicity it could sure save me some $$$.

So the question is, will Magnum work well for bittering and aroma in ales that require a subdued hop profile, like cream ales?

I like magnum in the ipas and pales i make. It's a very clean bittering hop. I don't see why you couldn't use it in a cream ale sparingly.

I like magnum in the ipas and pales i make. It's a very clean bittering hop. I don't see why you couldn't use it in a cream ale sparingly.

Exactly, I was thinking with the high bittering content that 1# could last me a long time. I could use it to bitter about all styles, then save my other hops for flavor and aroma since the bittering addition doesn't bring much of that to the party.

Magnum is a Hallertauer and is good in any beer where you don't want the bittering hop to intrude. Very popular in Germany for bittering.

I did that a couple of years ago with Warrior. I bought 1# of it and used it solely as my bittering hop in all my beers. No drawbacks imo.

I have been using magnum as my go to bittering hop for over a year... in almost every style. I recommend it!

I ordered up a pound, only %10 AA in the American version but should work out perfectly well.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but got a Magnum hops related question.

I plan on brewing a full boil APA tomorrow (sort of Anchor Liberty clone) using Magnum hops (13.1%; .65oz) as the bittering hop for 60min. I plan on using Cascade hops for the flavor and aroma (6.1%; .5oz addition at 20min and 10min) My taget IBU is 38. I originally planned on doing a 30 and 15 min addition but was able to achieve the same IBU by adjusting hops and times. My question is will I still ahve a good bittering taste with flavor and aroma? I guess I'm questioning the viability of later stage hops additions.

Thanks
axr

Let us look at your entire recipe.....I would say the 30 minute addition wouldn't get you much. For aroma and flavor I love to really go nuts in the last 15 minutes. I just made an apa with these finishing hops

1 oz cascade at 10
1 oz cascade at 5
1 oz cascade at 2
1 oz cascade at 1

Do something like this maybe, you could even cut them to 1/2 oz additions if want...then just adjust your magnum bittering to get your IBU

Let us look at your entire recipe.....

Well here is the recipe. I'm doing a full boil.

6 lbs 11oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 94.34 %
1 lb. Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.66 %
0.65oz Magnum [13.1%] (60 min) Hops 28.5 IBU
0.50oz Cascade [6.10 %] (20 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.74oz Cascade [6.10 %] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
WLP001 [Starter 1000 ml]
Target OG = 1.054
Target FG = 1.012
Target SRM = 7.7
Target IBUs = 38.4

i suppose I can tweak the bittering additions but I'm looking for the Magnum hops to do their job and then balance the beer with the flavoring and aroma additions. If this seems off I can change the times and additions.

Any help would be appreciated

nothing wrong with that recipe that i can see. i haven't had a liberty ale in a long time and don't recall how much hop flavor/aroma it has. i'd say you're going to end up with modest hop flavor, as written. if you want to bump up the flavor, just add another ounce of cascade in the last 5 minutes and you'll get mostly flavor with little bittering contribution.

With any high AA hop like Magnum, I would really recommend weighing your hops in grams. At the homebrew scale, especially with a hop like Magnum, I don't think that imperial measurements are precise enough.

Eric

I used Magnum in my Old Guardian clone in place of Warrior. Nice clean bittering hop; hydro sample tasted great.

Back