First Lager - Fermentation Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed the Heart of Darkness Schwarzbier recipe from the latest Zymurgy using White Labs 838 - Southern German Lager Yeast on Saturday. I was hoping the garage would stay at 50 degrees where I have the thermostat set, but its been around 52-53 degree. Just checked it 24 hours after pitching the yeast and it has a healthy krausen formed. The optimal fermentation range is 50-55. I do not have a way of measuring the temperature of the vessel itself, as this is my back up primary I'm using. With ale yeasts, I generally notice a temperature increase of about five degrees above the ambient temperature of the room. Can I expect the same with lagers, or with a slower ferment, would they generate less heat? I'm concerned I may be fermenting a tad high.

Edit: I used a 3 quart starter which spent the last 24 hours before pitching (after decanting most of the starter beer) in the garage at 53 degrees and I cooled the wort down to about 57 when I pitched.

I've got a Pils going pretty strong right now at about 55 degrees, not nearly as exothermic as an ale.

Back