Pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backi00

Reaction score
I recently bottled a gallon of cider (using EC 1118) which had a gravity of 1.012. I used a carb tester plastic bottle and once that became quite firm i decided to pasteurize.
I placed the bottles in a pot of water and they were about 1/2 to 2/3 submerged at 160-165 degrees for 15 minutes. I have seen a couple threads about this using 12 minutes at 160 but my pot was not really deep so i gave it a little extra time since they werent submerged.
I am trying to prevent frag grenades here, and hope to use the same method with about 15 more gallons of various recipe cider. Think the bottles are safe to put away?

I think you'll be okay, but I'd set the tester bottle in a warm spot for a week to check.

Thanks for the replies. I did cold crash all this cider that i have bottled. It varied from 1.000 to 1.02. I cold crash it for 48+ hours and then bottle. I am new to this so i am just trying to figure out what works best with my equipment/ what recipes i like best.
I did not pasteurize the carb tester bottle because i did not know how the plastic would hold up in the heat. Would it be ok to heat the plastic bottle to 160 for 15 minutes?

Latest posts

Back