Re pitching yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrestler63

Reaction score
Example: I have an IPA ready to transfer to secondary ( OG 1.085 ), I am to be brewing another IPA with the same grain bill but different hop schedule tomarrow. Can I repitch the yeast in the primary? Will the different hop schedule be influenced by some in yeast cake? Will this yeast be viable and healthy for another 1.085 beer? The yeast was 2 pkg. Nottingham. 1 hydrated and 1 dry added.

Go ahead and rack onto the cake. I prefer to wash my yeast to get any break material and hop particles out, and to clean the fermenter but you should be fine. Two packages of Notty gave you plenty of cells for a 1.085 beer so your yeast shouldn't have stressed much.

Go ahead and rack onto the cake. I prefer to wash my yeast to get any break material and hop particles out, and to clean the fermenter but you should be fine. Two packages of Notty gave you plenty of cells for a 1.085 beer so your yeast shouldn't have stressed much.

I was going to drain the yeast into a clean fermenter with fresh wort. The present carbouy has alot of dried on Krausen. Am I still good?

I was going to drain the yeast into a clean fermenter with fresh wort. The present carbouy has alot of dried on Krausen. Am I still good?

If you're going to go through that trouble, why not wash it? Here's what you do...

Boil and cool some water to sterilize. A couple of quarts or so should be fine.

Pour the water into the fermenter and swish it around really good.

Pour the mixture into a couple of clean, sanitized containers.

Cover and let stand about 15 minutes.

Pour the liquid off the top into a third sanitized container, taking care to leave the large particles behind in the two original containers.

I often will do this a couple of times because you get sooooo much yeast from the previous batch that you can really waste a lot and still have plenty for repitching. In the end you're left with a jar of fairly clean yeast. You can pitch right away or put it in the fridge and let the yeast settle out. You only need about half a cup of thick yeast for your brew. I find that you get about 1/6 thick yeast for a jar of thin slurry.

Back