New freezer issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNOmar

Reaction score
Hey all,
This is more a freezer question than a beer question, but I don't know of any GE Hotpoint forums. I recently inherited a modified GE Hotpoint chest freezer converted keggerator from a friend. I had to do a minor fix to get it to power on initially (removed the built-in thermostat) and it now runs, but after 10 hours I checked the thermometer I placed inside and it's still sitting at ~62 F. I can hear the compressor running. Could it have lost it's freon charge? Any thoughts?

Second question: More beer related.
I have a Hefeweizen hooked up to the co2 in the freezer right now. It's sitting at 11 psi which would be about right if it were the 40 degrees it should be right now. My question is will there be any effects of carbing at 60+ degrees for a couple of days before (hopefully) dropping down to 40?

Starting your carbonation at 60F and then going to 40F will work fine. About 60% as much CO2 dissolves at 60F compared to 40F.

Nevermind the freezer issue...she's dead now. :(

GE Hotpoint chest freezer (Bertha)
RIP
1987 - 2006

Anybody giving away a fridge/freezer?

Back