Temperature Controller Selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
So I've narrowed down my selection for a temp controller to either a LOVE or a Ranco. I'm leaning towards the Ranco ETC 111000 because they cost $50 and are relatively straight forward. However, I plan to use either the LOVE or Ranco on a HERMS someday and I have no idea which is best. So what are the Pros/Cons of each?

Also, can either of these be programed to control a gradual temp increase or decrease for either a HERMS or fermentation chamber? Thanks!

The LOVE is much more flexible because of the available programming options. I also think the panel mount install is much more professional looking. I really prefer the LOVE (I have both).

I have the Ranco on a keezer and it works well, very simple and intuitive to program. AFAIK, it can only be set at a certain temp w/ a variable delta. I don't think a gradual temp increase is possible w/ the Ranco.

You can program the LOVE to "coast" to your set value, but not program controlled temperature ramps. You would need a more programmable controller for something like that.

Sounds good. I think I'm going to go with the Ranco simply because it is more plug and play and I don't have the time to mess with a Love controller right now. I realize it might be less programable than the Love but I have to do without that for now. Thanks so much.

Back