Trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuyako

Reaction score
Okay so I raked to my secondary today and my sister (who is a health food NUT) made a comment about the trub (more likea few days ago but I just thought of it today).

Anyway, she want's to know if the trub is brewers yeast. I know what it is, it's all the yeast and stuff that has settled at the bottom of the bucket but I haven't thought of it like that.

So I guess my question is, is the trub brewers yeast?

Well, the trub contains yeast, but it isn't pure yeast. There's going to be live and dead yeast, protiens from the hot and cold break, hops sediment, and various other ingredients based on your recipe. If your sister wants to know if it has similar health benefits to the brewers yeast available at the health food store, I would have to say yes. It's very high in B vitamins and protein, as well as amino acids. It also contains chromium, which has been known to help with diabetes.

Then again, eating a spoonful of trub is going to taste about as good as it looks, and will cause the loudest and worst smelling farts you've ever heard. Ask me how I know. :D

DO IT! My son downed a shot glass of trub left over from a Pale Ale and made the same face as the cat in Shrek II when he was hacking up the furball. I sure wish I had that on video...

DO IT! My son downed a shot glass of trub left over from a Pale Ale and made the same face as the cat in Shrek II when he was hacking up the furball. I sure wish I had that on video...

Puss rocks!

Maybe I can get my brother to do, I like experiementing with (on) him:D

Okay so I raked to my secondary today and my sister (who is a health food NUT) made a comment about the trub (more likea few days ago but I just thought of it today).

Anyway, she want's to know if the trub is brewers yeast. I know what it is, it's all the yeast and stuff that has settled at the bottom of the bucket but I haven't thought of it like that.

So I guess my question is, is the trub brewers yeast?

If a damn granola ever asked me about the health benefits of trub..........I'd soooooo encourage them to eat at least 3 or 4 full cups of it all at once. But only after I peed in it.

Of course, being your sister.........some restraint was neccessary I suppose..........

If a damn granola ever asked me about the health benefits of trub..........I'd soooooo encourage them to eat at least 3 or 4 full cups of it all at once. But only after I peed in it.

Of course, being your sister.........some restraint was neccessary I suppose..........

Yeah, make her eat it before you pee in it.

My daughter and I tasted the yeast cake after I racked off my double chocolate oatmeal stout last week. She described it best... "Hmmm... it tastes like chocolate... and dirt."

Back