question about cold water flow through a counterflow chiller...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausenmustache

Reaction score
The CFC has standard 3/4" garden hose fittings for water in/out. Will I get adequate water flow if I use adapters to hook up 3/8" tubing for water in/out flow? I dont have a hose spigot (brewing in an apartment) so my plan is to hook the 3/8" tubing (which i have a bunch of) into my faucet's cold water inlet with an adapter.

I don't think so, but a lot would depend on you water temp. You can get garden hose to sink adapters in home stores. They screw right onto your faucet, so you would get the full flow of your faucet. I would look into that.

this is where i get confused. The line going to the sink is a 3/8" braided steel line, so shouldnt i get the same flow rate if i hook in a 3/8" rubber tube from the same source?

But its only 3/8 to the trunk line(right behind the wall). If its only 1 or 2 feet of 3/8, then ya its a bottle neck, but flow is not restricted as much as running 10 feet of 3/8. There is a formula to figure out how long the restriction can be but I'm not familiar with it. Basic rule of thumb is to have as short of a restriction as possible for max flow at a given pressure.

But its only 3/8 to the trunk line(right behind the wall). If its only 1 or 2 feet of 3/8, then ya its a bottle neck, but flow is not restricted as much as running 10 feet of 3/8. There is a formula to figure out how long the restriction can be but I'm not familiar with it. Basic rule of thumb is to have as short of a restriction as possible for max flow at a given pressure.

+1 This is correct. Yes, the 3/8" supply line to the sink is a restriction, but no need to add to it with even more 3/8" tubing. In most cases a higher flow is better. IMO, the flow rate of both the wort and the water could be higher in most CFC's (tubing in hose type) that I have seen or used. This can be an important consideration sometimes.

Back