Sparge Volume and Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
Can someone point me towards some info on figuring volume of water for a batch sparge system and the temperature it would be. I've read the over sparging can extract unwanted things. I also ran across an equation for figuring temperature based on volume of grains but I can't seem to find it now.

Sparging is not rocket science.

Heat more water than you could possibly need and stop your sparge when you achieve anyone of the following:

1) preboil volume of wort in your kettle
2) sparge SG drops below 1.010 (some people say 1.000)
3) preboil OG in kettle

The amount of water required to achieve this then becomes a secondary statistic. With experience you'll see a pattern emerge to guide you on how much to prepare.

Ditto Mikey, It is not difficult at all.

If you really want to take it to a higher level and get everything out of your mash then try a Brix scale Refractometer. Easy to sample the runnings so you don't oversparge.

I have a 5 gallon water cooler for my sparge tun... I just fill it up and see how much I use... Always better to have too much rather than too little... The temp should be between 170 and 180.
I get the water going right after I start my mash. It will stay at a temp in there for the rest of the mash and mashout time.

mikey says:

but is this adjusted SG or unadjusted? ie sparge temp is 80oC where as hydrometers work at ~20oC

cheers,

simonj said:
mikey says:

but is this adjusted SG or unadjusted? ie sparge temp is 80oC where as hydrometers work at ~20oC

cheers,

That's adjusted SG. I use a refractometer so I don't have to worry about temperature compensation.

You can use a hydrometer too, just remember to compensate for the high temperature.

Back