What Causes a Stuck Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What causes a stuck sparge?

I'm getting ready to build my MLT and I want to take this into account as I design it...

Let the debates begin. :D

I use a rigid manifold.
  • Covers more surface area (reduces channeling and clogging)
  • Doesn’t collapse under heavy grain weight.
  • Slotted holes are less likely to gum up than a mesh screen.
  • Is inexpensive and can be moved from one size unit to another.
  • Is easily removed and disassembled for cleaning.

Other than mechanics:
Draining too fast will cause excessive suction and clogging. Drain slowly.
Mucky grists (flaked barley, rye, flaked wheat) can play havoc. Use rice hulls with these grains.

Let the debates begin. :D

I use a Stainless Steel False Bottom
  • Covers way more surface area (reduces channeling and clogging)
  • Doesn’t collapse under heavy grain weight.
  • Mesh Screen is less likely to gum up than slotted holes.
  • Is inexpensive and is designed to fit the size container you're working with.
  • Is easily removed and disassembled for cleaning.

Other than that you can drain as fast as you want without worry of a stuck sparge. I use the pump wide open without any worries.
Mucky grists (flaked barley, rye, flaked wheat) can play havoc. Use rice hulls with these grains.

;)

Maybe I should clarify...

I plan to build a rigid copper tube manifold. In the case of using a copper tube manifold, what causes it to create a stuck sparge? Just clogging up of the slits?

Maybe I should clarify...

I plan to build a rigid copper tube manifold. In the case of using a copper tube manifold, what causes it to create a stuck sparge? Just clogging up of the slits?

The slits on a manifold will go on the underside. You don't want the slit "pointing up".

A normal grist will not clog those slots unless you drain so fast that the intense suction compacts the grain bed so tightly that the whole thing is a log jam.

Use plenty of slits and use rice hulls with a mucky grain bill and you'll be just fine.

Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

Nothing to do with the build, but one time I dumped in the grain before the water. Result = stuck sparge.

I use a ss braid and it seems so far to be working like a charm, but the other comments are exactly right. All methods work well if you plan well around the weaknesses. I think all have weaknesses, but rice hulls are the most common one I hear as a fix for it.

The only time I had a stuck sparge was due to my grist being crushed to fine. It happened right after the good idea fairy suggested that I adjust my rollers tighter. I have a barley crusher. I adjusted it back to where it was (.037) and I have not had a problem since.

What I was considering doing was building a manifold with two separate uptakes that re-joined right before hitting the back of the ball valve. I was thinking that this could help to eliminate or minimize the possibility of a tube clog stopping up the manifold. Does that idea have any merit? I haven't seen one done like that around here...

In my experience it's just when some part of the plumbing in the mash tun gets clogged, design against cloggs.

No debates required -- all lautering devices have been demonstrated to work without getting stuck by some brewers, and all lautering devices have been demonstrated to become stuck at some point by other brewers. It is pointless to argue which is the 'best' system. Look to other important factors, such as:
  • crush: over-crushing is the biggest culprit for stuck sparges; back off your crush or (less desirable) through in some rice hulls
  • recipe: high proportions of adjuncts rich in beta-glucans, like oats or rye, will contribute to a stuck mash
  • lautering technique: varies with the type of lautering device (manifold, braid, false bottom) you use, but the initial flow rate and lautering flow rate can have a big impact on whether the grainbed 'sets' and gets stuck; more of a concern for fly spargers since batch spargers can simply encourage channeling in the grainbed and lauter full-bore
  • mash viscosity: adding water before lautering (e.g., mash-out water addition) can aid by 'floating' the grainbed; increasing the temp of the grainbed makes the wort less viscous and also helps

Back