Belgian strong ale stronger than expected...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time no see.

I recently did my first all-grain batch, a belgian strong ale, and it was a tremendous success. In fact, a bit too much so. We got an original gravity of 1.103, and it fermented down to 1.021 after two weeks in primary (perhaps longer than necessary, but since it came out higher than we wanted, we decided to give it a little extra time). So, now the abv is somewhere around 11.3% (a personal best for me, and I'm pretty excited about it.) It tasted excellent coming right out of the primary, so I've got high hopes.

The yeast was Wyeast 1388. Should we add a neutral champagne yeast to make sure it carbonates at bottling time, or will this yeast stand up to that high of alcohol content?

From the website, it seems the yeast should be okay for 'high alcohol', but then that's subjective. I'd rather not add a champagne yeast, but that's just me...

...good luck!

Back