bitterness question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejf063

Reaction score
Hi all,
OK. I am on my second batch: an Alpha King extract clone. All went well when I took my gravity after 2 weeks in the primary. I hit my mark. I tasted the sample and BOY it was good. I wasn't sure if I should rack to a secondary. I did a lot of reading and called a few friends. Secondary was recomened and I went for it. Now, 28 days from the day I brewed I added some dry hops and took a reading. FG didn't move so all seemed good. I swigged down my sample and I have bitterness that wasn't there before. I mean I had bitterness before but not to this degree. Everything was clean and sanatized when I racked. The only thing I can think of is my ambient temperature went from about 64 to 70 over the last two weeks. What could have caused this bitterness to raise? Will this bitterness subside? Will it be more bitter after I carbonate with co2? Am I a worry wort? (No pun.... well kind of). I just don't want it to be too bitter. Any thoughts help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I figured. I am doing home brew as a relaxing hobby. I have aged 15 years in the two batches I made. I do need to RDWHAHB.

I figured. I am doing home brew as a relaxing hobby. I have aged 15 years in the two batches I made. I do need to RDWHAHB.

That's just newbq nervousness. We've all gone through it. Once you get your processes down, all will be right with the world

What's the worse that could happen? You end up with less than stellar beer.
What's the best that could happen? You end up with great beer.
Either way you end up with beer. So relax and enjoy the hobby. Get a few more batches under your belt and you'll really lose the jitters.

When you first start you worry:
Did my beer burp too much through the airlock? not enough?
Is that foam on top mold? Where'd the foam on top go?
Is that smell normal? What about that smell?
Why hasn't my beer gotten clear after two days in primary?
I pitched two minutes ago and nothing is happening! Is my yeast dead?
I pitched six weeks ago and for some reason it's not bubbling! Is my yeast dead?
Etc.

After a while all these go away and it becomes very relaxing. It even helps me sleep at night because I'll take a brewing book to bed (I've been reading White's book on Yeast lately). Just don't read about a new recipe this way or you might not get to sleep imagining yourself making it.

Ime,the greeness of the fermenting beer makes the bittering seem like more than it'll wind up being. RDWHAHB is right...

W

When you first start you worry:
Did my beer burp too much through the airlock? not enough?
Is that foam on top mold? Where'd the foam on top go?
Is that smell normal? What about that smell?
Why hasn't my beer gotten clear after two days in primary?
I pitched two minutes ago and nothing is happening! Is my yeast dead?
I pitched six weeks ago and for some reason it's not bubbling! Is my yeast dead?
Etc.

LMAO!!! It's so true, well, all but the 2 days in the primary!
Thanks for your help guys!

That's just newbq nervousness. We've all gone through it. Once you get your processes down, all will be right with the world

Thanks for the advise
Its good to know I am not alone!

I always get a lingering bitterness when drinking warm hydrometer samples too. Cold, carbonated, conditioned beer tastes much better!

OK so how long does it take to condition? Its been close to 30 days, I have a week of dry hopping then a week in the keg w/ co2. Is that too long?

Back