Ballast Point Yellow Tail Pale Ale Recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has a extract or partial mash recipe for this beer?

It is a wonderful Kolsch style beer, one of the best I have had. If you are ever in the San Diego area go check them out. Here in MA we are just starting to see Ballast Point in bottles.

Anyway if anyone has a recipe for this beer please let me know.

Thanks

I can get Ballast Point in a couple places around me. Can't help ya with the recipe, but their IPA is incredible. I saw a double IPA on the shelf, but haven't picked it up yet. It's an hour drive to that store.

sorry OP, they didn't have it today. He told me to call tomorrow. Will do and get back to you.

Ok, I just spoke to the guys at Ballast. They said the Kolsch recipe posted online is going to get you about 95% of the way there. The only difference is that they use a special kind of kolsch yeast that is not available.

Kolsch (Golden Ale)
6 # pale malt extract
1# wheat malt extract
1/2# 10 L crystal
1 oz Northern Brewer (6.9%) 60 min
1 oz Tettnanger 10 min
1 oz Tettnanger 2 min
Ferment with W.L. California Ale Yeast

If you brew it, post back and let us know what you think.

If it was me....I'd use a kolsch yeast instead of the cal ale yeast. It would probably get you closer to Yellow Tail and the Kolsch style in general.

I talked to a guy at Home Brew Mart who said he used about 0.5% acidulated malt in that recipe to tweak the mash pH for our lovely San Diego water.

I don't know if it has a flavor impact or even makes an appreciable difference in the wort, but any data is good data...

I am going to brew the recipe this weekend...any clue on what temp and how much water to partial mash the 10L Crystal at?

So I spoke with someone who works at Ballast Point about this recipe and they said go for it and let them know how it comes out.

Again, I am going to brew it this weekend. I also found out that my local store now carries Ballast Point brews. Very very excited.

Brian, see if you can get your hands on their "victory at sea" coffee vanilla porter. It's pretty special.
victoryatsea-small_copy.jpg

Ya I bought like 5 bombers of the Sculpin. Yummmmmmmmmmmmm.

Also...brewed the Yellow Tail Pale Ale clone today. Looks like it came out well.
We shall see in a few weeks and I will let you know.

Yellow Tail is one of my favorite beers, their Scripps Ranch location is right around the corner from me and they have a small pub like setting in their shop to sample all their beers. I walk home afterward :drunk:

I went off an AG conversion from the Kolsch recipe on their website, but used a kolsch yeast instead (they recommended cali ale). It's a fantastic beer - one I will probably add to regular rotation.

Latest posts

Back