Yo - from Savannah, GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkybeer

Reaction score
Hey ya'll i'm coming to ya from Savannah, GA. I'm a professional chef here and am planning to goto Armstrong before long. My buddy got me into brewing because he did 3 very unsuccessful batches and gave me his kit saying I can have it if I can make a good batch. I'm on my third batch right now which will be a Saffron ale. I'm very excited to taste it. and this here website is extremely informative. But i'm a little sad because I just saw something here that said I should wait thirty days until I open my first bottle. I always that that if the bottle was fizzing over (too much head) that it was going to explode and we better drink them fast. I guess I was wrong.:D

~tim

Sup!

Yes, you'll find that as you go through your batch that the last ones are generally the best because they got a little more time to age...patience is your friend and highly assisted by brewing multiple batches to ease the wait in-between.

drinkybeer said:
Hey ya'll i'm coming to ya from Savannah, GA. I'm a professional chef here and am planning to goto Armstrong before long. My buddy got me into brewing because he did 3 very unsuccessful batches and gave me his kit saying I can have it if I can make a good batch. I'm on my third batch right now which will be a Saffron ale. I'm very excited to taste it. and this here website is extremely informative. But i'm a little sad because I just saw something here that said I should wait thirty days until I open my first bottle. I always that that if the bottle was fizzing over (too much head) that it was going to explode and we better drink them fast. I guess I was wrong.:D

~tim

Not 30 days...more like 21 days in the bottle for a normal beer....oh, yeah and a month before if you count fermentation and clearing....

You're not mixing koolaid here...beer is alive and has it's own timeframe. :D

Since you're a chef you'll appreciate why, once you read this...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

It even has a nifty video!

I betcha your friends beer sucked 'cause he didn't wait either...:D

Welcome to your new obsession!!!!

:mug:

The trick is to just keep those batches coming so that you are never waiting to drink a beer. Welcome to the forum!

Another brewer! Awesome. As a chef, you have to know about the yeastie beasties from bread and pastries. They don't always do their best work when they're rushed or when they're not kept at the proper temprature. However, being a chef gives you an advantage because you've got a better idea of how flavors combine and what's pleasing to the palate.

I'd say that your friend either 1) didn't practice good sanitation or 2) used some crappy kit. Impatience is bad, but nothing funks good beer like an infection. Not all kits are created equal. Some have been sitting on a shelf, in cardboard boxes and the ingredients get stale. Just as you wouldn't waste your time trying to cook a 5 star dinner with Tuna Helper, you won't get 5 star beer that way either.

Use good ingredients, prepare properly, practice good sanitation and you should be making good beer in no time. I'd also add that you probably also want to look at controlling your fermentation temps to keep any odd flavors out.

M.

he used savannah tap water, which is barely drinkable on its own. i use store bought filtered water with all my brews. huge differenence.

Back