Too bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgandpl2010

Reaction score
Hello all,
I still consider myself a noob but have been all grain brewing for 10 brews now.
My question is this. Why the heck are all my brew more bitter than I think they should be? I know that's a very vague question.
My theory is that either the brew builder app for the hbs that I use is wrong.

Or I'm getting an awful lot more utilization by not using a hop bag during the boil.
Lemme have it! Mug:)

3.25 lbs crisp Maris Otter
.5 lbs crisp crystal malt
3oz crisp chocolate malt
.5 fuggles 60 min
.5 fuggles 20 min 3.65 AA
.25 tettnanger 8 min 3.5
1.045 og
1.011fg
22 ibu
21.25 srm
4.4abv

That sure isn't an outrageous hop sched by any means. Ran it through my program just to be sure and it said it should be about 20 IBU at 73% efficiency, this may be where you skew a bit though.

Thanks for doing that for me!!!!

Do you think that not using a hop bag in the boil has an effect?

no hop bag does have an effect, but the programs we run recipes through don't assume hop bags. it's possible "more bitter than i think they should be" is the skew. they might be right on; it might be you expect less hoppiness, or taste it more than most

Thanks for doing that for me!!!!

Do you think that not using a hop bag in the boil has an effect?

I was thinking lower efficiency than assumed in the program but if your OG after the post boiladdition met the target the bag is a possibility or as stated it could be perception. Tough to say really, at that IBU range it would barely blip on my radar unless it were a blonde or something similiarly light.

Latest posts

Back