Glass carboy vs. Plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traktertire

Reaction score
Is there and advantage to fermenting with glass as opposed to plastic or visa versa. I brew with plastic and I haven't had any problems. But I found a glass carboy cheap so I thought I would get it.

Yes and yes.

Matter of preference for the most part. There's lot of threads around here on this topic.

Glass is hard for dry hopping or other additions due to the narrow opening. More difficult to clean, but lasts longer. Also carboy's can break, hard to carry without special straps or handles.

Buckets can get scratched. but are easier to fill and add fruit etc to. They are cheaper, come with handles.

Thanks that was informative. I can get a glass carboy for 11 bucks. So I think it will be a good investment. That way I can brew 3 batches

Nobody ever cut their toes off or even had to get stitches from a bucket.
My son somehow managed to drop a glass off a shelf in my beer room. It bounced off a sack of malt, flew sideways and cracked a 5 gallon carboy of brett hefeweizen. As we watched the crack grew and within 5 seconds the whole side blew out pouring that delicious beer onto the garage floor and our shoes. I've never had that happen using a bucket for primary or a keg for secondary.

This conversation came up in my local brew shop today. I've only been brewing a year and a half, but really feel that for most ales there is little reason not to use a bucket and don't even bother racking to a secondary fermenter (a whole 'nother can of worms.)

There are some good reasons for glass (and good applications for secondary fermentation), but I feel like Revvy said, this is mostly preference.

Of course, that said, I think most beginners should just start with a plastic bucket instead of getting sucked into two glass carboys (5 & 6 gal) for their starter kit.

I find that glass is way easier to clean and there is less residual odors. That's about the only difference for me. I currently use plastic for primary and glass for secondary even though it is more difficult to dry hop etc.

Add to it, glass has better insulative properties. Although the emisivity and mass of the beer itself minimizes the difference. Plastic is better to protect from light.

just got 15 stitches in 2 fingers this weekend due to a mishap with broken glass. my yeast jar reached the floor right as i caught it. i'm changing out my glass carboys for plastic better bottles. it's friggin amazing how quick freak accidents can happen. like was already posted in this thread, nobody ever lost toes or got injured by plasic.

Back