Kegging and balanced system (or lack thereof)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
So, I’m new to kegging and will put two beers in keg this weekend, 2 taps one regulator. I plan on carbing both to different carb levels and serving both at the same, but lower pressure (whatever it takes to get a decent pour). So, currently I have an ESB and a Saison. I want less carbonation in the ESB. Will it work for me to carb them to different levels and then drop the pressure back and serve both at the same pressure (tap lines about 5 feet)? Or, since they will have different volumes of CO2, will they not pour at the same pressure?

In time I should probably get longer lines and a second regulator, but wanted to see if this would work for now.

Only downside so far I've seen from unbalanced line is that beer could eventually get flat and you waste more CO2 with unbalanced lines.

Maintaining the two carb levels with one reg is going to be a major pain especially with juggling a lower pressure pour. Set the reg to the pressure that will get the ESB where you want it and let the Saison go along for the ride. After a week, you should have the ESB at the right level. Now disconnect that keg and crank the pressure for the Saison. After a week, it should be good. If you lower either pressure for pouring, you must give it a shot of the higher pressure to keep your carb level over time.

You can carb at two levels, the hard part is if you serve at 10 psi both the kegs will level out to be the same after awhile.

Thanks. I'll carb the ESB, then get the Saison right and give the Saison a boost every so often. Sounds simple, sure it won't be that easy.

So, if I were to have balanced lines, I'd have to continue to serve approximately the same volume of C02 off of the same tap each time?

Back