clearing while still fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edues

Reaction score
Have a cranberry wine going. Has been the slowest fermentation I ever encountered. But anyway. Last week it was at 1.013,I racked at that time due to amount of dead yeast in it. 2 days after I noticed it starting to clear, at that time the SG was at 1.010 an there was still bubbles coming threw the air lock. At a rate at About every 30 sec. Never seen clearing till well after the fermentation was done. Can anyone fill me in on what's happening?

Before racking at 1.010, I would have stirred it well to mix the yeast back into suspension, that yeast was most likely not dead, just buried by the lees, (For Example: When making a 2nd run wine, the pressed grapes start to ferment again right away without adding any more yeast to the must).

There is a good chance that the yeast wasn't dead, what was the temp of the wine? Sometimes we overlook that important part of fermentation, too cool and the yeast goes dormant.

What was the starting SG?
Depending on the starting and end SG, plus the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, the yeast might have reached its alcohol tolerance, and started to drop sediment.

If the wine has a noticeable separation of wine at the top and heavier lees\sediment on the bottom, this is natural - Once fermentation is finished and not producing any CO2 that would keep the fruit floating on top of the wine, the sediment\lees will drop out of suspension.

The fact that the airlock was still active doesn't necessarily mean that it was still fermenting, it could be the gasses escaping. If in fact it is done fermenting at 1.010, a few nutrient additions could have kept it fermenting longer.

I hope that this helped a little.

The starting SG was 1.100 an we used a monashe yeast. It was the normal cloudyness till 2 to 3days after it was racked. After a week and a half there's a lot of lees on the bottom again of the 6 gallon carboy.

If your SG was 1.100, this would give you a wine that has an ABV% of 14.2%, nothing wrong there.
The lees dropping after a week isn't anything out of the ordinary, as a matter of fact, I did a quick Google search for Cranberry wine and a lot of people wrote:
"Cranberries are slow any time I've worked with them, and different than anything else I've made"
and
" It took some 3 months for it to finish in secondary. It was clear and had a slight yeasty smell but after transferring it after the third month, Patience, this wine hurries for no one."
and then I found this very important piece of info:

"Cranberries contain benzoic acid, It inhibits yeast from multiplying. That makes starting a cranberry ferment difficult."

Now we know why it is slow, as far as sediment dropping, that might just be a result of the slow fermenting wine, I'd have a packet or two of EC-1118 or KV-1116 to restart the wine if needed.

I hope that this helps

Thanks a bunch! 2 days ago it was half clear today its 90% clear. Took a little taste an it was really good already. My mouth didn't know what to do. Tangy to start then a hint of sweet followed by dry! Its at 1.010 that's a sweetness my wife and I like too. Not going to mess with this batch. Just going to let it age. Thanks again!!

Back