OG too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiest

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and began my first Belgian white last night. When I took the reading for the OG it was 1.026 and the recipe called for about 1.050. I boiled some clear belgian candy sugar to attempt to raise the Gravity but it only went up slightly. What could have caused the OG to come out so low? Is there a good way to raise it? Does this mean my beer will have a very low alcohol content? thanks in advance for your help.

I compensated for the higher temperature according to the scale that came with the hydrometer. It was an extract recipe I followed. the temp when I took the reading was about 75 degrees.

Take a sanitized spoon and stir the wort very gently and slowly. Then take a reading again. Most extract based brews will tend to stratify with all the sugars at the bottom.

If you post the recipe with quantities, including the quantity of sugar you added, we could give a better assessment.

Back