Citra hops are starting to let me down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm having a hard time using citra as well. i like the flavor but it's kind of intense. i'm trying to find a way to mix it in small doses with another hop thinking it would create a unique flavor. right now i'm looking at centennial. i get a deep fruity flavor from citra and a slightly brighter fruit flavor from centennial. if i could stick those together and add a third hop to give some dimension/complexity like ctz, palisade or nugget i think it could work.

Try a small amount of Centennial and Citra and top it off with some Nelson Sauvin. Sauvin gives a killer tropical fruit taste. It gives a pineapple like flavor

Try a small amount of Centennial and Citra and top it off with some Nelson Sauvin. Sauvin gives a killer tropical fruit taste. It gives a pineapple like flavor

I agree with this as well. I just brewed a citra IPA with all citra late additions but dry hopped with centennial and citra combined. IMO, beers with citra are best drank fresh. I would put a 2 month limit on this beer or it'll lose its desirable citra aroma.

I started doing a little less aromatic additions since I dry hop anyways. It really is incredible how potent citra is in flavor (extremely high alpha % is definitely a plus). Everyone around this area seems to love Zombie Dust. Brewing a good citra beer will give you that same exact taste. It really is the most unique hop in my opinion.

I made an IPA recently with Galaxy and Pacific Jade, i popped the first bottle last night after only a week (and after just finishing a zombie dust fwiw) and you get a nice fruitiness out of the paring of those hops that is at once bitter, lingers and develops on the pallet a bit but finishes with a bit too much bitterness. I'm thinking a downward adjustment in one of the two is required but this is definitely a combo I'm using again. Compared to the ZD and an all Citra IPA i've made in the past this is a lil more complex without lessening the impact you want from an IPA.

I made a Citra pale ale last month and I just dumped it :( I love hops, but this thing was an unbelievable grapefruit bomb. I really like Citra, but by itself is just too much for me.

I made an IPA recently with Galaxy and Pacific Jade, i popped the first bottle last night after only a week (and after just finishing a zombie dust fwiw) and you get a nice fruitiness out of the paring of those hops that is at once bitter, lingers and develops on the pallet a bit but finishes with a bit too much bitterness. I'm thinking a downward adjustment in one of the two is required but this is definitely a combo I'm using again. Compared to the ZD and an all Citra IPA i've made in the past this is a lil more complex without lessening the impact you want from an IPA.

I am not familiar with Pacific Jade and Galaxy. Is it clean bitterness? Just made a bit too much of it? I am trying to find a good pairing for citra. My cascade I have is so weak it doesnt contribute and anything citrusy high in alpha gives too much dirty bitterness or adds floral flavor.

jcorn said:
I am not familiar with Pacific Jade and Galaxy. Is it clean bitterness? Just made a bit too much of it? I am trying to find a good pairing for citra. My cascade I have is so weak it doesnt contribute and anything citrusy high in alpha gives too much dirty bitterness or adds floral flavor.

Galaxy is Australian and Pacific Jade is from New Zealand. Both were an impulse buy over the summer.

I used too much... I think the pacific jade is what lends the tropical fruitiness which hit me in the middle. The initially bitterness is good, the lingering bitterness is rather dry, I wouldn't call it dirty but it's definitely dry. I started with a half oz of galaxy at 60 min and followed up much too soon with a half oz of the pac jade at 30 min. Both were roughly 14% AA. I split the other half ozs over the last 15 min. I don't have the recipe at hand but I'd definitely brew with this combo again and switch up the hop schedule.

I have some homegrown cascade which aren't very bitter or citrusy. The lend a nice herbal flavor to a honey pale ale I brewed though.

Galaxy is Australian and Pacific Jade is from New Zealand. Both were an impulse buy over the summer.

I used too much... I think the pacific jade is what lends the tropical fruitiness which hit me in the middle. The initially bitterness is good, the lingering bitterness is rather dry, I wouldn't call it dirty but it's definitely dry. I started with a half oz of galaxy at 60 min and followed up much too soon with a half oz of the pac jade at 30 min. Both were roughly 14% AA. I split the other half ozs over the last 15 min. I don't have the recipe at hand but I'd definitely brew with this combo again and switch up the hop schedule.

I have some homegrown cascade which aren't very bitter or citrusy. The lend a nice herbal flavor to a honey pale ale I brewed though.

That would be out of my comfort zone for pale ales. Sounds like it would be past 50 ibu. I love taking a small amount of hops (.5 oz magnum) at 60 mins. and follow up with a bunch of late additions (normally around 2ozs of 14% Citra @ 15mins. to hit my ibu's around 50 so I get way more flavor than bitterness.

Latest posts

Back