Extract recepie: habanero cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tackett

Reaction score
So I got my ingredients in for my first self made recepie. I'm going to brew this this weekend.

I've written a couple trial recepies that you fine people have very generously helped me with. Those are all written down and they will be brewed as well.

So here we go with the juicy details:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Habanero cream ale

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 4.74%
IBU (tinseth): 21.91
SRM (morey): 5.63

FERMENTABLES:
3.3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen - (late addition) (45.2%)
2 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light - (late addition) (27.4%)
1 lb - Rice Syrup Solids (13.7%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.25 lb - Belgian - Biscuit (3.4%)
0.75 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (10.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Saaz for 2 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Aroma (AA 3.5, IBU: 1.35)
1 oz - Tettnanger for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 20.56)

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.25 oz - Irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
2 each - Habenaro peppers, Time: 30 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - Cream Ale Yeast Blend WLP080
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 77.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 65 - 70 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: Corn sugar
Amount: 5oz

My procedure for this will be to roast 2 habanero peppers, slice them up and soak them in vodka. Then add them to the boil with 30min left.

I'm hoping the burn isn't too bad. I went with habeneros over jalapeños because honestly, I like the taste of habeneros better.

This was inspired by bw3s mango habanero chicken wings. Which i looooooove. My plan with the honey malt is to provide some sweetness to the beer, much like the mangos in the wings. The biscuit malt I'm hoping will add a breadeyness, chicken wingish flavor. The IBUs are a tad high for a cream ale, but I did that on purpose with the hopes of the bitterness offsetting the heat a tad. The Tattnang hops should also add a spice to the peppers which I'm hoping will compliment well.

What I'm going for here is a yellow fizzy beer that will have that touch of breaded sweet and hot flavor reminiscent of the mango habanero wings.

Bump.

Only one view. This forum is so active, I figure it got lost in the shuffle.

Only suggestion would be to toss the clean and sanitized peppers in secondary and age till "a little more" heat than you want is there and bottle/keg, the heat will mellow over time. You dont know if the boil with volatize or increase the spice of the peppers.

Ive had a Jalacremo ale that was fantastic done this exact way. Plus you can adjust and take them out after a day or 2 if you think its to much. Once you boil them and you don't like the spice its downhill from there.

O.k., here's what I think. Soaking the habaneros in vodka is going to extract the capsaicin and the temperature from the boil is going to vaporize the alcohol. Whether you'll have residual capsaicin after that occurs or if it boils off, i'm not sure. I've seen a lot of pepper beers and adding them at 30-20 in the boil will add flavor, but i'm not sure about the heat.

Here's what I would do. Go ahead and use them as a flavoring ingredient and use them as you've intended, but take two additional peppers and soak them in about 2 additional ounces of vodka (or even everclear if you can get it) and let those sit in the alcohol for 48 hours prior to bottling day. When your fermenting is all said and done and you're ready to bottle, take a taste test. If it has the heat level you want, great. If not, get your everclear hot pepper infusion extract and add a teaspoon of it at a time to the beer. Be very slow and gentle about stirring. Once it's slightly over the heat level where you want it, bottle or keg. The heat will fade a bit after a few weeks time, so just slightly more than hot is what you're looking for.

PS: Here's my own pepper beer experiment, using Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Peppers. Moruga Scorpions are currently the hottest peppers on the planet. Link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/scorpion-pepper-ipa-am-i-insane-385854/

True. That's a good suggestion. I've been worrying a little about how much heat two whole habs will produce.

What really is concerning to me is how to get the heat and flavor balanced here. I'd hate to have a mouth inferno with none of that great pepper taste.

Hopefully the way you describe, I can get the pepper taste at the beginning and add the heat seperate at the end.

Back