plastic kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BingenBrew

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these can be reused? I got my hands on a couple of used plastic corny kegs and may try and use them if possible. Cheers!

i just got one, when i bought a keg of perry from a local cidery. it says "one time use" all over it. but, i'm gonna see if i can reuse them.

Is it a true plastic keg or is it a plastic or rubber coated keg?

My understanding is that there is only one manufacturer of true plastic kegs, this company, and that all the kegs had implanted gps markers to prevent theft.

EcoKeg Pty Ltd. sells the one time use plasic kegs. They're supposed to be disposable. http://www.ecokeg.com/

But it doesn't really matter cause none of the kegs are fitted for homebrewing, they're for commercial use. Same with the ones in the revys link.
Now if you were to condition inside the keg then that would be a different story

mine doesn't look like that. i'll take a pic when i get home.

i dont know what "fitted for homebrewing means". mine is a regular sanke keg, 5.16 gallons or whatever.

What I meant was that they don't feature the gas and liquid posts that are standard with corny kegs. I do admit that my statement was a bit ignorant given that you can purchase couplers for sanke kegs.

lol, yeah i have MFL connections on all my lines, and i have mfl connections on my sanke couplers. so, all I have to do is a bit of "screwing" to get some commercial beer thru my taps.

Is it a true plastic keg or is it a plastic or rubber coated keg?

My understanding is that there is only one manufacturer of true plastic kegs, this company, and that all the kegs had implanted gps markers to prevent theft.

I would strongly reccomend not trying to service those as a home brewer. It was one of those Kegs America products that caused the tragedy at RedHook.

Yea. It was funny how it caused a backlash and assumption on Chinese kegs. Truth is almost everyone uses Chinese kegs, AB, Molson, Geemacher, and even SBC. Not to mention almost every craft and micro I know.

"While plastic beer kegs have been in use in Europe for some time — ostensibly more than a decade — their introduction into the American market was largely spearheaded by a British company called CypherCo., which established a manufacturing operation for full-sized beer kegs in California.

The company operates in the United States under the name Plastic Kegs America (PKA)."

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120520/GJNEWS_01/705209896/-1/FOSNEWS

Yea. It was funny how it caused a backlash and assumption on Chinese kegs. Truth is almost everyone uses Chinese kegs, AB, Molson, Geemacher, and even SBC. Not to mention almost every craft and micro I know.

"While plastic beer kegs have been in use in Europe for some time — ostensibly more than a decade — their introduction into the American market was largely spearheaded by a British company called CypherCo., which established a manufacturing operation for full-sized beer kegs in California.

The company operates in the United States under the name Plastic Kegs America (PKA)."

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120520/GJNEWS_01/705209896/-1/FOSNEWS

From the article:
Redhook is not a customer of PKA, but had a plastic keg from them (not uncommon as the the articles states).

The weird part is that they were cleaning it on their keg washer, although they don't use them. That is interesting......there is going to be more to this story....

I do not know how the US market works for smaller breweries. In Ontario if you get someones keg or growlers sent to you by accident you generally just process and return them to the owner (mutual thing).

yeah, i had that incident in mind when i was connecting the gas for the first time.

i did the old useless "turn face away" bit

I do not know how the US market works for smaller breweries. In Ontario if you get someones keg or growlers sent to you by accident you generally just process and return them to the owner (mutual thing).

When you say process, do you mean clean etc? Maybe that was what redhook was doing with it...

I would strongly reccomend not trying to service those as a home brewer. It was one of those Kegs America products that caused the tragedy at RedHook.

The scenario that caused the keg to explode is highly unlikely to occur in a homebrewing setting. It is true that they can't handle pressures as high as SS kegs, and homebrewers often do stupid things, but I wouldn't hesitate to use one of these kegs myself. The newer ones also have a pressure relief valve in the bottom for safety reasons. It will safely vent the contents if the pressure in the keg gets to ~115 psi.

The single use plastic kegs are another story altogether.

The scenario that caused the keg to explode is highly unlikely to occur in a homebrewing setting. It is true that they can't handle pressures as high as SS kegs, and homebrewers often do stupid things, but I wouldn't hesitate to use one of these kegs myself. The newer ones also have a pressure relief valve in the bottom for safety reasons. It will safely vent the contents if the pressure in the keg gets to ~115 psi.

The single use plastic kegs are another story altogether.

The keg split from the middle seam and and split in two pieces. I am betting it was far less then 115PSI being used, the brewery likely had the compressor locked out at 60PSI or less to meet safety standards.

Back