Trading/Shipping beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naristov

Reaction score
I want to send my friend a 6 pack of my homebrew. How do you guys typically send beer when your trading? UPS etc I remember reading somewhere on here someone put a BBQ Sauce label on their beer. Also any packaging tricks or experiences would be great.

Thanks

USPS insured, tracking, and delivery conformation in a priority box and individually wrap each bottle in bubble wrap with bubble wrap lining the top, bottom, and sides as well. Shipped 34 packages this way and never an issue.

Don't ship with USPS, last I checked that was still against the law. Doesn't mean I haven't used them before though, but I still stick with shipping companies for peace of mind. If UPS or Fedex asks what I'm shipping I usually just say car parts. There's a sticky around here somewhere that has pretty good instructions on how to pack your bottles.

phenry said:
Don't ship with USPS, last I checked that was still against the law. Doesn't mean I haven't used them before though, but I still stick with shipping companies for peace of mind. If UPS or Fedex asks what I'm shipping I usually just say car parts. There's a sticky around here somewhere that has pretty good instructions on how to pack your bottles.
I could be wrong, but I believe it's against the law, no matter which carrier u use. That being said, I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, with extra bubble wrap or crumpled newspaper in any open spaces. I believe u can check online with all 3 carriers (USPS, UPS & FedEx) to see who's cheapest. Just put in the box measurements & weight.

No one knows what is in your sealed box unless you tell them. USPS is the fastest and cheapest for me, with never a broken bottle.

I could be wrong, but I believe it's against the law, no matter which carrier u use. That being said, I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, with extra bubble wrap or crumpled newspaper in any open spaces. I believe u can check online with all 3 carriers (USPS, UPS & FedEx) to see who's cheapest. Just put in the box measurements & weight.

I do know it's against company policy for UPS and FedEx, I don't really think they would pursue harsh legal action if they found out you were shipping a bottle or two of homebrew though. I could very well be wrong though as well.

Just make sure you package your bottles well so none of them break and you don't really have to worry about anything.

It is not against the law to ship beer by USPS, in fact this is how most competitions receive their beer from entrants. UPS and FedEx have policy against it but if packaged properly they don't know, regardless, no one wants busted bottles so packaging is key!

Box should be lined with bubble wrap, individual bottles wrapped with bubble so they don't touch, once in the box there should be no room to move and lots of cushion, don't forget the top when you close also.

By the time you're done with a six pack it's a heavy package!

Back