Hoping it turns out ok

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killer

Reaction score
First time poster, short time lurker.....

Must say home brewing is addictive and a perfect hobby for this time of my life.

I am on batch 5 now, 1st was a bass ale clone, not bad, better as it aged. #2 was a root beer for the kids, first half ok, second half down the drain, eww was the response. Batches 3&4 are a pumpkin ale and a Kolsch are in the keg now conditioning and I'm writing here about batch 5, a surly furious recipe from northern brewer.

So the furious went bat blank crazy fermenting,blowing the lid three times and krausen filling the airlock for four days straight. I racked it to secondary and added in the dry hop blend of about 8oz of hops via a muslin bag. Dang that's a lot of hops!!

Question is, I'm worried about contamination from the dried krausen. Looks like chunks of Flaky krausen have made their way into secondary. Is there a filter I can use when racking it to the kegs/bottles? I had an interesting taste but I couldn't tell you if it's jacked up or
Not and know i have to wait for the finished product for evaluation.

Anyhow, any filters out there besides traditional clarifying filters being used?

Be well,

Killer

(user name is from pronunciation of name by some coworkers from the head office)

The dried krausen is nothing to worry about, for those that don't use a secondary there is a lot more in there!

There is a filter system that you can use in between kegs using CO2 to push it through. If you are going to bottle condition watch the filter size or just repitch some yeast.

I would think 10-20 micron would be fine for general filter needs unless you are going for a super clear look.

A cold crash and time in secondary should accomplish the same thing though. That's my method anyway.

Back