Handheld direct immersion element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That unit is 220v, available in europe I believe. Search around for "heatstick", as we say on this side of the pond.

They work awesome...not crazy on a GFI.

That unit is 220v, available in europe I believe. Search around for "heatstick", as we say on this side of the pond.

They work awesome...not crazy on a GFI.

I've been looking, actually, and I can't find them anywhere except on the old beer forum I posted that pic from.

Essentially, I'd really like to get into electric brewing because brewing outside is impossible in Northeast Ohio 75% of the time, between the cold in the winter and the rain the rest of the year. However, I have absolutely no welding or electrical experience, and I can't afford to buy a complete electrical system.

So... HELP!

I've been looking, actually, and I can't find them anywhere except on the old beer forum I posted that pic from.

Essentially, I'd really like to get into electric brewing because brewing outside is impossible in Northeast Ohio 75% of the time, between the cold in the winter and the rain the rest of the year. However, I have absolutely no welding or electrical experience, and I can't afford to buy a complete electrical system.

So... HELP!

First let me say quit being a sissy, I live in Northeast Ohio and brew outside all year long. Well when it's really cold/windy I go in the garage, but I digress.

I'm in the process of obtaining parts and building an electric brewery, but in the meantime I curb my propane usage by using a heatstick that I built. It's a 120v, 2000W immersion element with a bunch of plumbing drainpipe and such added to it. Nothing to building it, if you are interested in making one for yourself there is a nice little tutorial here by jkarp. If you need a little assistance then shoot me a PM, if you're close enough you can stop on out and I'd be happy to give you a hand. :mug:

+1. Man up. I brew nearly all year in the garage and mostly have no problem brewing outside 70% of the time. Plus I do all my boils outside anyway, so even when I'm "brewing" indoors, I'm actually boiling outside.

I also have thought about a portable heatstick idea using a basic electric heating element and a potted, waterproof housing that you can clamp to the side of whatever kettle you are using. You could easily use it to heat up strike and sparge water, then move to the BK. Hardest part is coming up with the $$ for a GFCI Breaker for the panel.

+1. Man up. I brew nearly all year in the garage and mostly have no problem brewing outside 70% of the time. Plus I do all my boils outside anyway, so even when I'm "brewing" indoors, I'm actually boiling outside.

I also have thought about a portable heatstick idea using a basic electric heating element and a potted, waterproof housing that you can clamp to the side of whatever kettle you are using. You could easily use it to heat up strike and sparge water, then move to the BK. Hardest part is coming up with the $$ for a GFCI Breaker for the panel.

I just use a GFCI outlet for the 120V one I currently use.

Back