Hop Spider Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSea

Reaction score
If you plan on using this technique make sure you wear gloves as well as eye and hearing protection.

This is my hop bag holder. It started our as a $1.00 yard sale find. I ground off the rivets that hold the handles on
HopSock2.jpg

HopSock3.jpg

I them used a punch to remove the remaining rivet parts.
HopSock4.jpg

Use wood blocks under the guard so it is raised to the desired level of cutting. I cut the pot twice. Once for the top section and a second to keep the bottom of the hop bag spread out. The bottom section is extra but I think I may use it to sanitize small things.

When you cut the pot it is best to have the pot resting against the wood, the grinder to the left of the pot. The grinder rotates clockwise so this pushes the pot against the wood. My grinder has a button that allows you to start it and keep it running without holding the trigger. This allows you to concentrate on putting downward pressure on the grinder guard (with one hand) and slowly rotating the pot with the other.
HopSock6.jpg

Use a sandpaper disc to smooth out rough edges and your ready to brew.

HopSock9.jpg

HopSock10.jpg

DeepSea

Very nice, I've always just tied the bag off to the handle on my brew kettle but that's a great way to have the opening easy for the later hop additions.

I used this today and learned a lesson. The stainless hoop in the bottom is a bad idea. As I was holding the bag up to drain the stainless cut the hop bag.

Back