picnic taps - long term under pressure ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shataway

Reaction score
I am considering a basic kegging setup in which the keg and co2 would be inside a regular refrigerator. Is there a concern with regular picnic taps being under pressure for long periods of time? I really don't want one to fail and have all the beer pushed out all over the fridge and carpet.

I expect to draw 1-2 pints a night with a few more on weekends. Any tips on how to manage this system such as turning off the co2? Maybe disconnecting the beer out but leave it full of beer in the fridge for the next night?

Thanks,
Steven

I'v never heard of one failing and there are many people who have been using only picnic taps for years. Just use them as you would a normal tap and enjoy!

Welcome to the forums.

I have had no issues using the picnic taps and the same drinking/pouring schedule. My only problem is that for some odd reason, I keep connecting the taps to the beer in the open position (because I use them to backflush my kegs when cleaning).

Don't do that...enjoy.

I have used picnic taps for a couple years now, the only thing I have noticed is that you need to disassemble and clean them periodicly, Yeast or "debris" can build an the rubber seal and cause a slight drip. For the price, the performance of picnic taps is unbeatable.

Just to reiterate, I am doing exactly what you suggested you might do and for the past two months it has been working without and problems whatsoever.

I have had no issues using the picnic taps and the same drinking/pouring schedule. My only problem is that for some odd reason, I keep connecting the taps to the beer in the open position (because I use them to backflush my kegs when cleaning).

Don't do that...enjoy.

Oh, I see that in my future. Murphy and I are long time friends.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So, no one disconnects anything? Leave the system connected and under pressure and just enjoy on demand?

If so, :mug:

Thanks,
Steven

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So, no one disconnects anything? Leave the system connected and under pressure and just enjoy on demand?

If so, :mug:

Thanks,
Steven

Yeah, just use them like a normal bar tap :)
I've been using mine for years.... still can't justify those $40 perlick's (+pluse shanks/etc0

Back