Am I rushing my Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
I brewed my Oktoberfest kit on August 2nd. It spent 10 days in primary and I transferred to secondary on the 12th. I got my keg kit in on Monday and I want to keg it this weekend... The instructions that came with the Midwest kit say leave it in secondary for 3 to 12 weeks. This weekend would be 6.5 weeks. One of the reasons I want to keg it now is so that I can do an Oktoberfest type party 1st or 2nd weekend of October and also I'm anxious to get my keg kit set up. What do you guys think? Too soon or should I be good?

Well I brewed my Octoberfest Marzen Partial Mash from midwest with the octoberfest smack pack on 7-17-09 and kegged it on 8-11 and started carbing it the start of this month. I started drinking it about a week and a half ago and it tastes great. So after less then 2 full months I have started drinking it. Probably not as long of lagering as was recommended but it tastes great so I'm drinking it. I would go ahead and keg it with the set and forget method and see how it tastes next weekend. If its good drink it if not go buy something to serve instead.

ive neve kegged before but i did do an oktoberfest back in june, it sat in the primary for 2 weeks, and secondary for 2 more weeks. I bottled it and let it carb at room temp for 1 month and then drank half of the batch over the next few weeks, while the other half of the batch I "lagered" in my beer fridge for 2 months. WoW! Those 2 months of cold storage made a huge difference. Not only did the beer clear really well but it also gave a chance for all the flavors to balance out.

If it is an authentic Maerzen, yes, you are rushing it. That doesn't mean it won't be good by the time you want it. You can go ahead and keg it, too. It can lager in the keg.

TL

Oktoberfest is the last 2 weeks in September isn't it? So by that reasoning your should be good to have the party any time in October since you're already late!

i was a little late planning mine, but i'm ready to dig into it as well. i say go for it, if there's any left after the party (doubtful), let it sit for a while and see what differences there are.

Back