First barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flylock_jac

Reaction score
My first barley wine. Brewed last night and used safale 04 for the fist time.
Took off like a rocket. o.g. 1.101

magicalmysterybarleywine004.jpg

It was a 3 gallon batch. Long story but it was a kit that was sent to me free of charge from a online store. I had ordered the kit and after 7 days hadn't ever received an order confirmation . I phoned and asked to cancel the order and made a couple suggestions about adding an auto reply or a way to register so you could check the status.
They liked my ideas and said no problem with canceling.
Yesterday a box showed up at my door and contained the kit I wanted and a note thanking me for the suggestions. They plan to upgrade the site.
Who ever packed the kit only put in 6 lbs of L.M.E. instead of 9.
Also comes with a 1 lb mix of steeping grains but doesn't say what they are.
I converted the recipe to 3 gallons.
They also subbed the hops , so it should be interesting to see how it comes out.
That's why I named it the magical mystery barley wine.
It magically appeared on my steps , and the steeping grains are a mystery.

That is going to finish quite sweet with one packet of S-04.

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

You'll be fine, I think. Might not attenuate as much as you would like.

Thanks for the link. For 3 gallons 1 pack seems right by their calculations.
I've heard of people pitching 1/2 pack of champagne yeast late in the fermentation but didn't think I'd need it.
They company I got it from claims the 04 was what they used in the original recipe.
Guess time will tell , it's my first attempt so I'm open to any advice.

What would you recommend ?

That yeast tends to leave some sugars, so if I were using it on a barleywine I'd pitch more than the pitching rate calculator says. But really, I would have used S-05 or nottingham for their attenuative properties. Then again, I dislike sweet beer more than the next guy, so if you're not opposed to a bit of extra sweetness your beer should be great.

That yeast tends to leave some sugars, so if I were using it on a barleywine I'd pitch more than the pitching rate calculator says. But really, I would have used S-05 or nottingham for their attenuative properties. Then again, I dislike sweet beer more than the next guy, so if you're not opposed to a bit of extra sweetness your beer should be great.
Thanks for the tip. I'll pick up another pack of yeast this weekend just in case.

Latest posts

Back