My Thoughts While Brewing Graff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'm trying my first batch of Graff, and Nottingham isn't taking off like it does with a batch of beer. It's been over 30 hrs. since I pitched (and this is a whole 11g packet into a 2.5 gal. batch), and I have NO action. Oh, well, I'll probably wait until the weekend -about 72 hours- before I think about repitching. Don't have any more Nottingham, but I have a packet of Red Star Champagne Yeast that will probably do.

I followed all the recipe directions to the letter (except, obviously, for cutting everything but the yeast in half). I'm using Mott's AJ from Sam's Club, which say it contains only apple juice and Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), which latter is a preservative, but isn't supposed to bother yeast.

did you aerate everything before pitching? What temp you fermenting at? Seamus got his stuck fermentation to eventually start again. I am sure you will be fine, but make note of the apple juice you used. I wouldn't use champagne yeast in this. I'm sure the notty will take off as long as you are around 70 degrees or so.

did you aerate everything before pitching? What temp you fermenting at? Seamus got his stuck fermentation to eventually start again. I am sure you will be fine, but make note of the apple juice you used. I wouldn't use champagne yeast in this. I'm sure the notty will take off as long as you are around 70 degrees or so.

I only ærated by pouring the wort & apple juice into the fermenter.......but that's all I do when I brew regular beer, and the fermentation is usually going well in 12 - 18 hours, no matter what beer or what yeast is involved. The temperature might be the issue. I chilled the wort pretty well before putting it in, so I'd say the Nottingham was pitched around 70F. Now it's sitting in the basement, which is probably closer to 65. I'm used to fermenting my beer down there, and didn't think about temperature. I'll bring the fermenter upstairs....

I only ærated by pouring the wort & apple juice into the fermenter.......but that's all I do when I brew regular beer, and the fermentation is usually going well in 12 - 18 hours, no matter what beer or what yeast is involved. The temperature might be the issue. I chilled the wort pretty well before putting it in, so I'd say the Nottingham was pitched around 70F. Now it's sitting in the basement, which is probably closer to 65. I'm used to fermenting my beer down there, and didn't think about temperature. I'll bring the fermenter upstairs....

I would just leave it, the conditions sound fine to me. If it doesn't start in a few days you might have some dead yeast.

I would just leave it, the conditions sound fine to me. If it doesn't start in a few days you might have some dead yeast.

Well, it was 66.7F down in that basement, cool enough upstairs (70F), but I brought the bucket up anyway, swirled it around, and let the sun shine on it for a few hours. Somewhat to my surprise, given the total lack of any fermentation to that point- and I looked inside earlier, and it looked DEAD in there. Despite the brief interval involved, by noon the airlock was bubbling away. I moved the bucket back out of the sun, and now we shall see.......

Yes, I'm trying my first batch of Graff, and Nottingham isn't taking off like it does with a batch of beer. It's been over 30 hrs. since I pitched (and this is a whole 11g packet into a 2.5 gal. batch), and I have NO action. Oh, well, I'll probably wait until the weekend -about 72 hours- before I think about repitching. Don't have any more Nottingham, but I have a packet of Red Star Champagne Yeast that will probably do.

I followed all the recipe directions to the letter (except, obviously, for cutting everything but the yeast in half). I'm using Mott's AJ from Sam's Club, which say it contains only apple juice and Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), which latter is a preservative, but isn't supposed to bother yeast.

I pitched S-05 and Notty at the same time in 2 separate 3 gallon carboys that I had filled from the same boil. The S-05 was cranking very quickly and the Notty took at least a day (maybe a bit more) to really get going. I think you'll be fine.

I pitched S-05 and Notty at the same time in 2 separate 3 gallon carboys that I had filled from the same boil. The S-05 was cranking very quickly and the Notty took at least a day (maybe a bit more) to really get going. I think you'll be fine.

Maybe that was it. The graff fermenter's airlock is cranking along quite steadily this morning, doesn't seem to be any problem now.

I am going to be trying to make some Graff next week. I have only brewed one other batch of anything before and it was using wine yeast. I am wondering if it is ok to use my 5gal carboy with this recipe and the nottingham yeast. Just want to make sure it won't foam up a lot and overflow.

I am going to be trying to make some Graff next week. I have only brewed one other batch of anything before and it was using wine yeast. I am wondering if it is ok to use my 5gal carboy with this recipe and the nottingham yeast. Just want to make sure it won't foam up a lot and overflow.

I've currently got 2.5 gal. fermenting very vigorously in a 3.5 gal plastic bucket, also using Nottingham. I can see the line of liquid inside, and it isn't any higher than it was when I started. I think you're fairly safe, as long as you keep a decent amount of headspace in your fermenter.

Last night was my first attempt at making Graff, as well as my first time doing any type of boiling for brewing. I was following the directions exactly until I mistakenly put the full 1oz bag of Saaz hops into the pot. As soon as the last hop hit the pot I knew I just screwed up big time. I went ahead though and followed through with it and put it in my carboy and pitched the yeast. As of this morning it has already started bubbling along.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some warning how this is going to taste after 2 weeks fermenting and 3 weeks bottling? Would it help to let it sit in the bottles for a longer period of time?

you'll be okay - it will be a little hoppy, but it should still taste good.

After all, better 1 oz of Saaz, than say Warrior or Nugget!

Last night was my first attempt at making Graff, as well as my first time doing any type of boiling for brewing. I was following the directions exactly until I mistakenly put the full 1oz bag of Saaz hops into the pot. As soon as the last hop hit the pot I knew I just screwed up big time. I went ahead though and followed through with it and put it in my carboy and pitched the yeast. As of this morning it has already started bubbling along.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some warning how this is going to taste after 2 weeks fermenting and 3 weeks bottling? Would it help to let it sit in the bottles for a longer period of time?

it will be fine. don't worry about it, you will get the idea really well of what the hops add to the flavor profile.

Latest posts

Back