Bayou Classic Pots...Remind me...What's wrong with them...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew-in

Reaction score
Hi,,

Just got one of the Bayou Classic Pots. The one with the tri-clad bottom....

I am kinda surprised how nice and sturdy it is....

somehow I had the impression, from reading posts around the forum, that these pots were considered inferior....

So please remind me again, what is wrong with them? That way I can stop being excited about how nice my new pot is....

Thanks

I used just the thin aluminum BC pot forever. Are you sure you're possibly not confusing the reviews with this one and not the triclad?

Other than that my only guess would be it's not sold with a 200% mark-up since it isn't "designed for homebrewing" specifically (i.e. nothing different other than marketing).

Only downside is you can't brag about spending $400 on an overpriced Blichmann.

LOL....yeah I was actually looking at the Bayou Classic Triclad and wondering what a higher end pot would offer...other than tri-clamp fittings...

Of course, the tri clad bottom is of no utility if you are using an immersed element, so feel free to sulk. :)

LOL....yeah I was actually looking at the Bayou Classic Triclad and wondering what a higher end pot would offer...other than tri-clamp fittings...

Don't the Bayou come without anything? There are tons of options for a kettle these days. I suppose you can add all of them to any kettle but that requires more effort and tools on your part.

I thought I read finding a good false bottom was hard for them. Seems like someone has to add extra filters to accommodate that. Meanwhile I think Kal says the Blichmann false bottom is the best design he has seen.

Shrug. You could say why get a chest freezer when a swamp cooler will do.

Of course, the tri clad bottom is of no utility if you are using an immersed element, so feel free to sulk. :)

I thought about that and figured it would help add rigidity to the whole pot...makes the pot heavier and "feel" more solid!:)

Love all of the BC pots I have bought. Used them in my gas 3V setup and now a single one for my eBIAB setup. Great price and quality. The stainless basket that I now use for lifting grain is fantastic too!

Wrong? My only complaint is that the spout valve can be a pain in the posterior to turn, which is why I'm replacing mine. Otherwise I think they're a great value for the price. Plus the tri-clad ones will work with induction plates should you ever decide to go that route.

Don't the Bayou come without anything? There are tons of options for a kettle these days. I suppose you can add all of them to any kettle but that requires more effort and tools on your part.

I thought I read finding a good false bottom was hard for them. Seems like someone has to add extra filters to accommodate that. Meanwhile I think Kal says the Blichmann false bottom is the best design he has seen.

Shrug. You could say why get a chest freezer when a swamp cooler will do.
Bayou actually sells false bottoms for their kettles...I have 3 bayou kettles and a false bottom... (Thew older bayou false bottoms were weak but they are now redesigned.

2 of the kettles are 16 gallon and came with a hole drilled and ballvalve. I simply spent $18 on a stepbit kit to drill the rest of the holes where I wanted them for my element and sightglass or other ports.
the $125 a piece I paid for my 16 gallon kettles and $70 I paid for my 15 were a steal compared to the ones marketed for brewing.
The bayou classic (non clad) kettles are pretty thin walled (like 20 gauge) but this does not matter for electric brewers.

My first pot was a BC 44 qt. No complaints whatsoever. Mine did not have the tri-clad bottom and you could argue that it was a bit thin - but it was a fully servicable pot.

Eventually I turned the weldless fittings into welded ones, and recently sold it due to the fact that I'm brewing larger batches.

They're great pots for the money. Don't overthink it.

Bayou actually sells false bottoms for their kettles...I have 3 bayou kettles and a false bottom... (Thew older bayou false bottoms were weak but they are now redesigned.

2 of the kettles are 16 gallon and came with a hole drilled and ballvalve. I simply spent $18 on a stepbit kit to drill the rest of the holes where I wanted them for my element and sightglass or other ports.
the $125 a piece I paid for my 16 gallon kettles and $70 I paid for my 15 were a steal compared to the ones marketed for brewing.
The bayou classic (non clad) kettles are pretty thin walled (like 20 gauge) but this does not matter for electric brewers.

That cool the FB are improved. I thought they weren't very good and requires extra steps to work properly. Glad to hear it's not an issue now.

I bought a step bit to install a valve on my first kettle. Never again. I learned that you really need a good drill and the right bit for the starter. Not to mention a good work table and clamps or a helper to hold it all properly. Ideally you want a drill press. The tool Kal mentions in his guide seems better but it only does a single size hole per tool. But I've started to adopt Alton Brown's old philosophy of not buying single use tools so unless I come up with more needs for a step bit I'm buying kettles pre drilled. It's not like I want to keep buying kettles and drilling holes a few times a year.

Wrong? My only complaint is that the spout valve can be a pain in the posterior to turn, which is why I'm replacing mine. Otherwise I think they're a great value for the price. Plus the tri-clad ones will work with induction plates should you ever decide to go that route.

You have to slide up the lock before turning [emoji57]

You have to slide up the lock before turning [emoji57]

Lol! I know that well, but the amount of force it takes to turn the damn things compared to other spigots is much more. I've tried loosening and lubricating the spigot and it hasn't helped. I have tri-clover fittings and butterfly valve on order from ProFlow Dynamics. Happy birthday to me!

That cool the FB are improved. I thought they weren't very good and requires extra steps to work properly. Glad to hear it's not an issue now.

I bought a step bit to install a valve on my first kettle. Never again. I learned that you really need a good drill and the right bit for the starter. Not to mention a good work table and clamps or a helper to hold it all properly. Ideally you want a drill press. The tool Kal mentions in his guide seems better but it only does a single size hole per tool. But I've started to adopt Alton Brown's old philosophy of not buying single use tools so unless I come up with more needs for a step bit I'm buying kettles pre drilled. It's not like I want to keep buying kettles and drilling holes a few times a year.

I look at it this way. The 2 step bits cost $18 ... I ruined a set because I didn't know what I was doing and was drilling too quickly and without lubrication... So I bought a second set and have drilled about 12 holes in 5 different kettles and keggles... the $36 investment in bits saved me About $400 over pre assembled kettles plus I was able to drill and set them up the way I wanted for my setup... The holes are easy to drill without and vices it special equipment ... You need a multi speed drill, step bit and cutting oil or wd40... if you keep the drill at a low speed everything works well.

I wish the 16 gallon pots were available in Canada. The largest I've found is 44 quarts for well over $100 :(

I wish the 16 gallon pots were available in Canada. The largest I've found is 44 quarts for well over $100 :(

I didnt realize the amazon didnt ship to canada...I bought one from "bing" on ebay and one from "bling" on amazon.

EDIT** apparently you are just not searching well... here is a canadian ebay link... there are plenty.. starting around $160 with shipping..

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...quart+bayou.TRS0&_nkw=62+quart+bayou&_sacat=0

Theres plenty of sellers on the american ebay site that will ship to canada too....

These size kettles arent often something that sold at a local store even here in the states..

I didnt realize the amazon didnt ship to canada...I bought one from "bing" on ebay and one from "bling" on amazon.

EDIT** apparently you are just not searching well... here is a canadian ebay link... there are plenty.. starting around $160 with shipping..

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...quart+bayou.TRS0&_nkw=62+quart+bayou&_sacat=0

Theres plenty of sellers on the american ebay site that will ship to canada too....

These size kettles arent often something that sold at a local store even here in the states..

Sorry I was referring to the fact that I can't find them in Canada. I can easily get them from the US, but once shipping, exchange rate, and duty are included, it's not the great deal it started at mentioned earlier in this thread ($125 for 16g, <$100 for 15g)

Sorry I was referring to the fact that I can't find them in Canada. I can easily get them from the US, but once shipping, exchange rate, and duty are included, it's not the great deal it started at mentioned earlier in this thread ($125 for 16g, <$100 for 15g)

I understand that... That why I linked and quoted the Canadian eBay..site and not the US one. I found them for under $160.00 with free shipping in Canada there.

I must be blind, I'll check again after work to see what youre talking about (ebay is blocked at my office)

You have to search for bayou 62 quart not 16 gallon... you'll get far less results with 16 gallon. :mug:

I think the difference I found is in the currency. My account is in CAD while your account is likely in USD (or computer IP Canada vs US). I find some for $170 USD but >$200 CAD using the link you provided. No big deal, I'll wait for the currency to equilize.... :drunk:

I went with the Bayou Classic 1044, less than $80 shipped on Amazon Prime. I'm not planning 10 gallon brews so this was perfect for me.

This pot fit the 5500W stainless base ripple element without touching the wall (minor tweak gave 1/4" clearance).

I got all the parts except the RTD temp sensor and float level sensor from BobbyM at brewhardware.com.

He has a great youtube video on drilling stainless - this came out out great - no leaks. My cheap $13 step bit is still sharp enough to drill more holes.
https://youtu.be/2qrniNZIkWs

bayou1044.jpg

Back