Cider pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoAllen

Reaction score
These are some questions that I have yet to see talked about on this forum and I would appreciate any feedback yall could give!

What is a heathy pH for yeast to ferment at? Does it depend on the yeast strand? If the pH it too high/low how will this effect the yeast?

Also what pH's do yall normally shoot for in your finished product? Is it better to adjust the pH before or after fermentation?

All yeasts I've come across work well within the apple's range of pH.

Adjusting the pH serves two purposes. First, a lower pH helps protect cider from infection, if you have a dangerously high pH, you should definitely consider lowering it before fermentation, or increase the amount of SO2 to compensate. Here's a good table showing what I mean http://www.cider.org.uk/frameset.htm. Second, adjusting the pH will alter the flavor of the cider, IMO cider lacking in acidity will taste bland, thin, and somewhat swampy. Final pH really depends on the juice used, post fermentation, but prior to bottling, I like to play with the acidity and see what level brings out the most apple flavor, too much though can cover the fruity notes with tartness. Let the apple guide you to the proper acidity, commonly 3.3-3.7 for American ciders, which tend to be more tart than their EU counterparts.

Thank you for that link! One of the best reads I've had in quite a while. And being a biochemistry major I understood virtually everything described.

I particularly liked the section on "Cider Aroma" where it stated that one particular compound that we can smell in cider is enhanced with aging time in fruits. Here I only thought that the taste is the only element enhanced over time.

Props to you Sir!

If you like the website, then definitely get a copy of his (Andrew Lea) book. It's pretty much the only source of cider chemistry knowledge out there other than adapting wine chemistry when applicable. He's also very active on the cider workshop and the cider digest.

Pickled_Pepper said:
I have always been a fan of 'Fahrenheit 451' It was my favorite as a kid. Oh and 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' is pretty inspirational. ;)

I was kinda hoping for reading suggestions related to cider lol...

Back