Homebrew Store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckferrorists

Reaction score
Nobody think there's a decent demand for a local homebrew store in Baton Rouge? I think the selection that Marcello's has is crap. Something I've always wanted to open.

tuckferrorists said:
Nobody think there's a decent demand for a local homebrew store in Baton Rouge? I think the selection that Marcello's has is crap. Something I've always wanted to open.

Well, there was one on jones creek that closed.

I'm sure there's a need for one, the trick is getting it into the right location and being able to stay in business. There's 30+ people who regularly show up for homebrew club meets and events. If you have those guys all buying from you then you'll be fine.

There's another one that I keep hearing about in the BR area but I don't know the name. I buy from Marcello's when I'm in a pinch but typically also buy from Brewstock in NOLA because Aaron is aweomse. Most of my shopping is online through Austin, farmhouse, midwest, and northern brewer.

There was one in New Orleans in the 80's that closed long ago and Aaron at Brewstock is the only game in town but while it seems he's doing well, I can believe that it's a tough business to make a profit. As a small biz owner myself, I can say that the expenses for things most don't even realize, eat you up. Forget the tax part, there are a zillion little things that you have to pay for and it adds up fast. So, for someone to start a business in this economy, it takes balls.
That said, there does seem to be a boom in homebrewing throughout the country and the right place, in the right town, can be successful. I give Brewstock as much business as possible because they're local and have good prices and are knowledgeable.

Beer-lord said:
There was one in New Orleans in the 80's that closed long ago and Aaron at Brewstock is the only game in town but while it seems he's doing well, I can believe that it's a tough business to make a profit. As a small biz owner myself, I can say that the expenses for things most don't even realize, eat you up. Forget the tax part, there are a zillion little things that you have to pay for and it adds up fast. So, for someone to start a business in this economy, it takes balls.
That said, there does seem to be a boom in homebrewing throughout the country and the right place, in the right town, can be successful. I give Brewstock as much business as possible because they're local and have good prices and are knowledgeable.

Thanks. I haven't even heard of brew stock. I knew brew haha closed and there was that one in north baton rouge that closed a couple of years ago. Im wondering if a better location would be in prairieville or near the more hippy garden district area.

http://brewstock.com/
I've never ordered online and they admit, they're not fast with filling online orders. It's a very small store in Uptown N.O. and is packed full of good stuff. Doesn't look 'retaily' at all. Aaron knows his stuff and has been very helpful. If you're ever in town, you should stop by just to experience it. Like many things New Orleans, it's different.
His prices are very good from what folks in other parts of the country told me compared to their LHBS.

Not to take away from BrewStock, but if we're mentioning N.O. stores in this thread, you should also mention Main Grain in Mandeville. About an hour drive down I-12 and you don't have to fight thru N.O. traffic. The store is very nice and prices are too.

The best LHBS in Louisiana is Main Grain in Abita. Ron has a fantastic selection and will even crush your grain at no charge. Give him a try. http://maingrain.com

Back