Sink faucet: Who's got a good one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeers

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation, and I'm trying to keep my brewing needs in mind. One thing I'd really like to incorporate is a good kitchen sink faucet. I'd like one that will provide a good spray for brew day cleaning; it would be a bonus if it could also take a standard faucet adapter for the wort chiller, bottle cleaner, etc.

Just taking a shot to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas. I've been looking around, but so far no luck.

The answer to your question depends:
If you are married, just ask your wife. She already knows the one you will get. It won't be the one you want, but it will be the one she wants.

If you aren't married and want an something industrial looking, google restaurant sink sprayers. If you want something cozier, google country sink faucets or farmhouse sink faucets. These look like long goosenecks, some are articulated and you can get ones tall enough to work with your brewpot. Mine does. And the rustic finish on mine was wife-approved, even though she didn't know it would also work with brewing equipment. Ha ha!

Good luck.

You could also go with the "normal" sink faucet with a sprayer, and then have a wall-mounted pot filling faucet either over the stove, or near it somewhere. I'm not sure, but you could probably get a pot-filler faucet that had external threads to fit a hose/wort chiller/etc.

I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation, and I'm trying to keep my brewing needs in mind. One thing I'd really like to incorporate is a good kitchen sink faucet. I'd like one that will provide a good spray for brew day cleaning; it would be a bonus if it could also take a standard faucet adapter for the wort chiller, bottle cleaner, etc.

Just taking a shot to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas. I've been looking around, but so far no luck.
If I was renovating my kitchen again my wife would KILL me if I brewed beer there. The best upgrade that I ever did to my home brewing process was to install a utility sink in my basement. Attached to my faucet is a Y-valve with two quick disconnects. One side usually has a 6 foot hose with sprayer attached. The other can be my plate chiller, bottle washer, etc.

Get out of the kitchen, man. You (and your wife) will be glad you did. :ban:

If I was renovating my kitchen again my wife would KILL me if I brewed beer there. The best upgrade that I ever did to my home brewing process was to install a utility sink in my basement. Attached to my faucet is a Y-valve with two quick disconnects. One side usually has a 6 foot hose with sprayer attached. The other can be my plate chiller, bottle washer, etc.

This is also a very good option. I am currently installing a utility sink in my unfinished laundry/storage/fermenting room in the basement. I might set one up in the garage with a drain out to the driveway, since that is where I plan to move my brewing sessions to once I get my keggle cut up...

I've got a single basin sink with a gooseneck faucet. I like the sprayer to be separate, not one of those that pull out of the faucet. The big single basin is so much better for washing pots and pans. The gooseneck is high enough to fill a pot.

*I think mine's a Delta.

I've got a single basin sink with a gooseneck faucet. I like the sprayer to be separate, not one of those that pull out of the faucet. The big single basin is so much better for washing pots and pans. The gooseneck is high enough to fill a pot.

*I think mine's a Delta.

My wife insisted on this $500+ faucet. The sprayer pulls out of the faucet and I hate it. ARRGH.

One great feature is to have a pnuematic pushbutton for the disposal. We had the granite company drill a hole for this thing... keeps the wall clean where you'd normally have the disposal switch. That stainless pushbutton mounts right next to the faucet. It's non-electric (air-actuated) so no risk of zappage.

HHAccess-SinkTop-Switch_lg.jpg

This is true.

While I can and do fill pots in the kitchen and then brew outside, I do all of the heavy cleaning work at my basement utility sink. I also installed a Y valve on the faucet there and have a 8 foot long hose with a ball valve and reducer/spout on it so that I add water to or rinse buckets and pots on the floor. The other side of the Y valve is a spring loaded bottle washer. I find it is invaluable and I use it all the time to clean empties/buckets/and carboys. It kinda looks like a mortuary set up and new people are always skeptical about the true purpose of the hoses over the sink......

My wife insisted on this $500+ faucet. The sprayer pulls out of the faucet and I hate it. ARRGH.

+1

Also it might be helpful to add a separate connector under the sink for brewing day. That way you don't have to change anything up top. Add a T to the watersupply line, add a valve and quick connect and when it's time to chill, SNAP! you are on your way!

Damn, whole lotta wife talk on here. Is the road to homebrew littered with broken male spirits?

The fact is, I already have an outdoor setup. I just enjoy having the option to do small batches indoors.

I'll look into the equipment suggestions. I do plan to upgrade my basement utility sink, but that's further off in the future. For now, I need to figure out how to get my kitchen to work for me. I've heard of people tee-ing off with a quick connect under the sink, but I can't quite picture it. If anyone has more info on that, I'd appreciate it.

Grateful for the info,
Robby

Take the wife to a big box home improvement store there are hundreds of faucets to choose from.

Let her make the decision.

Get a utility sink for your use. This will keep harmony in your life!

I've heard of people tee-ing off with a quick connect under the sink, but I can't quite picture it. If anyone has more info on that, I'd appreciate it.

Grateful for the info,
Robby

There is an image on here or two, but I'm too lazy to hunt them down.

Basically, under the sink, you have a 1/2 inch supply line coming up through the floor for cold water. There are threads on the end of this that connect to a flexible hose that goes to the faucet. Usually there is a valve that allows you to turn the water off to the faucet for repairs.

What you do, is add a "T" in the pipe ahead of the valve, or at least ahead of the threads where the flex hose connects. Add a valve to the other output port and a threaded end (Assuming copper or CPVC).

You keep the second valve closed for general sink use, but when you want to chill, you simply connect a hose to the second valve and open it up. Water comes gushing out!

When you are done, close the valve and disconnect the hose (Quick connects make this super easy.)

To add a T you may have to cut the supply line and sweat or cement it in place (depending on whether you have copper or plastic supply lines). If you are lucky, you *may* have room to add the T onto the threaded end of the pipe, but without seeing what you have, it's hard to know for sure what would be easier.

In meeting today's household necessities, every kitchen needs a sink and faucet when style comes after quality and durability in selecting from hundreds of brands. It could be costly to make a wrong decision. Sinks usually are made with heavy duty stainless steel are normally stain resistant, heavier and more durable which protects against damage from daily use. There are some important things to consider before buying a sink. Knowing your sinks configuration, selecting a size, which shapes you prefer and moreover, price is among the things. Once you have decided on the basis, determine which one to pick from a bulk list of products.

Back