Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a cider out of fresh homegrown pressed apples about a month ago. Started at 1.069 and finished at 1.00 with montrejet wine yeast. Saw this thread and decided it was a good idea to add caramel. I had some caramel syrup on hand that I was going to use on a caramel cream stout months ago but didn't. So I put 2 shots in the cider keg. It's awesome!! The wife loves it too. The syrup adds just enough sweetness and flavor. The nose is strong caramel too.
Cheers!

Just started this today. Pitched with Safale S-04. SG of 1.065. Question for the keggers, do you age this in the fridge or at room temp? I see most are suggesting a 30 day keg age.

So pumped. Started this yesterday. 5 gallons of Motts 100% natural juice and 2#'s dextrose. 1 packet of Nottingham yeast. Woke up this morning and not even 24 hours later getting about a bubble per second in the airlock. Sitting at about 70 degrees right now. OG was 1.065. Think I'm only going to use 2 12oz cans of concentrate when bottling with the caramel sauce. This will be my 2nd cider (1st was just a 1 gallon batch of UV pasteurized cider and bottled with 1/2 can of concentrate just to get a feel for it). Needless to say, I'm pumped. Just hope it isn't too sweet. Should have a bunch of cheap presents to give out come Christmas time.:mug:

I might have jumped the gun. I racked into a secondary on campden tablets in hopes to start clearing the cider. There is an intense sulfuric oder in the cider and a very sour taste. Probably should have let the yeast continue its work, but if I recall campden doesn't do anything to the commercial yeast does it? Hoping it still cleans up after itself!

Man, this went way faster than I expected. I just started another batch last night. It went over awesome. Thanks again UpstateMike. I tried a new kind of apple juice and am gonna try a new yeast to see how well it cleans out. Just minor tweaks to an awesome recipe. Perfect for fall football tailgating.

Man, this went way faster than I expected. I just started another batch last night. It went over awesome. Thanks again UpstateMike. I tried a new kind of apple juice and am gonna try a new yeast to see how well it cleans out. Just minor tweaks to an awesome recipe. Perfect for fall football tailgating.

I'm glad you (and everyone else) likes this recipe. :mug:

I do have to agree with some comments, and I am thinking that 2 or 3 cans of AJ concentrate is better.

What yeast are you using this time?

The yeast I pitched this time was Danstar's BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast. The guy at my LHBS told me that it is relatively new and he has heard good things with it. I am confused though, because I used a starter this time, rather than just sprinking over the top, and it hasn't showed any airlock activity at 36 hours... I'll let it sit and give it more time to go.

One yeast I was not a big fan of was Munton's (the green and yellow pack). It gave the cider a very yeasty smell. The taste was still great, just the smell beforehand. So I am just hoping the BRY-97 will produce similar to the Nottingham.

I planned on going with 4 cans of AJ concentrate. We will see what that does, then maybe 3 the next one...

I do have to agree with some comments, and I am thinking that 2 or 3 cans of AJ concentrate is better....

Yeah, I wish I had read this thread again recently. Added the concentrate today and used the 5 cans. Really sweet... Oh well. Just an excuse to make another batch and experiment. Thanks for the recipe Mike. This was my first cider attempt and it came out great plus it's really easy.

Pretty new to home brewing and just made a batch of this. My friend put in frozen concentrate instead of the thawed ones I had. It brought the cider to a pretty low temp. Does anyone have an idea on how long it will carb, if it carbs?

I am new to home brewing, and have started simply because I am overseas and had limits on being able to get good beer. Made about 7 batches of beer so far, and I want to make my first cider. I am going to make a batch of this for Halloween. I have all of the necessary ingredients EXCEPT apple juice concentrate. Should I abandon the attempt? Should I use apple juice instead of concentrate?

This question was asked before by two different people, but no answer. The australian guy couldn't find concentrate, and the pressed cider guy said he was going to try to back-sweeten with cider instead of concentrate but no update.

I have decided to try to convert the recipe using the reduced "3 cans of concentrate is better than the original 5". Online it appears that a 12 once can of concentrate makes 48 ounces of juice. The recipe conversion below would reduce my original fermented liquid by 144 oz (the volume of 3 cans of concentrate when not concentrated) - Fermenting 4.13 gallons instead of 5.25, then adding in the non-conenrated juice (3 12 oz cans = 144 oz juice) to reach the 5 gallons during the phase where you would add the concentrate and caramel.

In theory the only penalty would be that an estimated 9.8% alcohol level would be reduced to 7.7%. It may also be slightly watered down due to the 108 oz of additional water from using non-concetrated juice... don't know. We'll see.
------------------------------------------------------
Ok, math and chemistry here we go... (Juice only, no concentrate conversion recipe)
------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients Part 1:
528 oz (4.13 gallons) of 100% apple juice, pasteurized.
2 lbs Dextrose
Nottingham yeast.
---Primary for 12-14 days to taste----

Ingredients, Part 2
144 oz. 100% apple juice, pasteurized (chilled in refrigerator)
12 oz. Caramel Syrup

Recipe for Caramel Syrup:
2 cups of water
2 cups of light brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon (Instead of this, I put a few cinnamon sticks in my 144 oz of juice when pasteurizing)
Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil. At boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes (until volume is reduced to half). Combine with chilled 144 oz of juice to bring temp down while mixing syrup.

----Mix solution and bottle----

*Check bottles every 12 hours for carbonation.
*I will attempt the "oven pasteurization method" mentioned in this thread (start at room temp then increase to 150 degrees for 20 minutes, then allow to cool)

----------------------------------------------------------

Ok... now I have 3 days until my fermenter is open. Somebody tell me why this wouldn't work, so i don't waste my time.

you have plenty of time to make your own concentrate. Freeze concentrate it. Simply place juice containers in freezer. When it gets slushy drain off liquid until you have clear ice. Discard the ice and repeat until you reach concentrate desired. This works because the pure water will be last to thaw.

you have plenty of time to make your own concentrate. Freeze concentrate it. Simply place juice containers in freezer. When it gets slushy drain off liquid until you have clear ice. Discard the ice and repeat until you reach concentrate desired. This works because the pure water will be last to thaw.

Dude that's AWESOME!!! I never knew that but it makes lots of sense. I may try that myself in the future if in a bind :mug:

Excellent... Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. (Ha ha ha... I'm siting here trying to figure out how to make alcohol from scratch, but didn't know how to make concentrate.) I did actually try to "simmer" the water out of the juice, but it didn't work.

Instead of using dextrose has anyone used cans of concentrate instead? What could I expect if I tried this? How many cans of concentrate would I need in the primary to replace the dextrose?

Instead of using dextrose has anyone used cans of concentrate instead? What could I expect if I tried this? How many cans of concentrate would I need in the primary to replace the dextrose?

Wegmans Frozen Concentrated Apple Juice
6 servings per container
30g sugar per serving
180g sugar per container

2 pounds dextrose is 907.185 grams

So, about 5 cans of Wegmans FCAJ would replace the sugar.

Your mileage may very. Read the nutrition label on your FCAJ to see the values of how many servings, and how much sugar per serving.

To continue on the thoughts about using FCAJ vs Dextrose

2 pounds dextrose costs me about $2.50
5 cans FCAJ costs me about $7.50

5 cans of FCAJ will probably reduce the amount of apple juice you will need by just under a half gallon, but for me that would not make up the expense. Then again, not sure how much volume 2 pounds dextrose takes in the carboy, so it may be an even tradeoff there.

On the plus side, thawed FCAJ will mix easier than dextrose in the apple juice.

Well, im taking the cider plunge this month... Ill be making mikes recipe for halloween, per his op, with the 5to3 fcaj fix... My question is has anyone tried throwing a couple cinnamon sticks, whole nutmeg and possibly all spice into a secondary shooting for more of a christmas hard apple cider? If so how much & how did it turn out?

Just thought of something else... Has anyone had issues with stove top pasterizing the swing top bottles and their rubber gromets?

Just thought of something else... Has anyone had issues with stove top pasterizing the swing top bottles and their rubber gromets?

There shouldn't be much of an issue there. In general you won't be totally submerging them anyway. They will be able to handle the 170-190 temps no prob anyway.

So I made my first batch of this and it came out great with a couple exceptions. I kegged it which seems to be the main source of my issues. First of all, the juice I bought is unfiltered and settles which I won't do again cause I have to shake the keg before serving. Second, the syrup mix also settles. Does anyone who also kegs have any ideas or solutions to prevent this?

So I made my first batch of this and it came out great with a couple exceptions. I kegged it which seems to be the main source of my issues. First of all, the juice I bought is unfiltered and settles which I won't do again cause I have to shake the keg before serving. Second, the syrup mix also settles. Does anyone who also kegs have any ideas or solutions to prevent this?

How did u pitch the syrup? Ive read a bunch of the past posts in this thread and it seemed like some of the people reported the syrup settling in and others appeared to have corrected for this by stirring the solution continuously as they were bottling it. I know this won't work for u as a kegger but figured maybe if u stirred or shoook the keg as you added everything, it would have mixed better.

I've had a batch going for about 2 weeks now and had almost no activity from the airlock at all using Nottingham yeast. I've opened the fermenter a few times now just cause curiousity got the better of me and I had to see if anything was going on. It looks normal in there, I have bubbles and krausen.

When i push down on the lid, the airlock level does change so I don't think theres a leak anywhere. Anyone experienced this with Danstar Nottingham yeast? This is the first time I've used the strain of yeast, and the first time I've brewed anything that didn't show activity in the airlock.

I used Nottingham yeast and its been really chugging along for the past week. After a week, I'm still at a bubble every two seconds. Question though, what temp are you fermenting at and did you make a starter? You could have a leak or you pitched bad yeast. When you say everything looks normal, do you mean like normal juice or normal fermenting action?

Edit: never mind, you meant normal fermentation. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere

I didn't make a starter. Just pitched the dry yeast on top of the apple juice mixed with corn sugar. Done this before with Apfelwein and it kicked off very quickly but that was Montrachet wine yeast.

By everything looks normal, I mean there was a small layer of foam on top and the juice is cloudy. I could see bubbles rising to the surface so it looks like the yeast are producing c02. Its in the basement so the temp is about mid 60's give or take.This is a brand new fermenter though, never used it before. Bought it for this batch. It is possible there is a small leak in it somewhere that's stopping the c02 from building up, thats my only thought as to why it doesn't bubble.

I did search on the forums and people have had the same issue and had their cider/beer ferment out. I'm going to take a hydrometer reading tommorrow when I bottle the apfelwein I also have going, keeping my fingers crossed that it will be ready to go.

I used Nottingham yeast and its been really chugging along for the past week. After a week, I'm still at a bubble every two seconds. Question though, what temp are you fermenting at and did you make a starter? You could have a leak or you pitched bad yeast. When you say everything looks normal, do you mean like normal juice or normal fermenting action?

Edit: never mind, you meant normal fermentation. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere

I used Nottingham one time with this recipe as well. I had the EXACT same issue, and was concerned all the way thru primary, however I RDWHAHB'd and everything turned out awesome. I had made this recipe up with a couple other yeasts including Muntons and BRY-97, of which I just sprinkled the yeast on top. So I thought my problem was the starter that I did for the Notty.

In the end, the cider came out fantastic, so I wouldnt worry about it. Check your gravity and enjoy some.

Ive used the nottingham a couple times now... It seems fairly sluggish for about 48-60hrs... I use a 6 gal better bottle carboy for primary so i usually get about 2 in of foam on top for a couple days and pretty good bubbles, it is def slow when you dry pitch, but mine usually ferments at about 65 deg... I did notice the one time i went to a pail for secondary i didnt have much air lock action but i just figured it was due to being secondary...

Pratzie said:
How did u pitch the syrup? Ive read a bunch of the past posts in this thread and it seemed like some of the people reported the syrup settling in and others appeared to have corrected for this by stirring the solution continuously as they were bottling it. I know this won't work for u as a kegger but figured maybe if u stirred or shoook the keg as you added everything, it would have mixed better.

I think this is intended though to ensure all the bottles get an even distribution of the syrup. I may be wrong on that point but I'm thinking as long as the distribution is even, it gets stirred up again when pouring into a glass. I don't get this when kegging.

That said, I did mix during and again after kegging and still have the issue. Anyone else keg this with success?

I've started this recipe tonight! First attempt at a cider! What is the approximate alcohol content of this cider?

Thanks!

So I thought this sounded good and whipped up a batch on tuesday 9-25. I made it exactly the same as the recipe except I added some yeast nutrient and started the sg a little higher at 1.070. Also I used ec-1118 yeast as it was all I had on hand. The airlock has been steadily bubbling after the first day. Decided to check it today thinking it has been going crazy in there. It is already down to 1.010. So what I am wondering is can I go ahead and proceed with the rest of the instructions or do I continue to let it go ... In 14 days (per the recipe) I am sure it will be completely dry. At the rate its going I would expect it to be 1.000 by tomorrow. Thanks for your input. :drunk:

I think this is intended though to ensure all the bottles get an even distribution of the syrup. I may be wrong on that point but I'm thinking as long as the distribution is even, it gets stirred up again when pouring into a glass. I don't get this when kegging.

That said, I did mix during and again after kegging and still have the issue. Anyone else keg this with success?

The only other option that I have seen so far (way back in this thread) was someone that used a Wine Degassing whip. If I am remembering the statement correctly, once used, s/he never had a problem with the separation. So, If you just pitched on the syrup in the keg (or added while siphoning or whatever you do), used a whip with your drill, apparently that will mix it well enough that separation shouldn't be an issue.

Just tapped the keg on my second batch of this excellent cider and have to say that I have no issues with the syrup not being mixed like my first keg.
What I did different this time was to get a gallon pitcher and poured the concentrate and syrup in ,and mixed very well. I started racking the cider from the secondary to the keg and waited until it was about half full and slowly poured the pitcher of syrup/concentrate into the keg while the cider continued to transfer. I also took my long sanitized spoon and slowly stirred the cider to aid in getting a good mix. This seem's to have worked well for me. :mug:

What I did different this time was to get a gallon pitcher and poured the concentrate and syrup in ,and mixed very well. I started racking the cider from the secondary to the keg and waited until it was about half full and slowly poured the pitcher of syrup/concentrate into the keg while the cider continued to transfer. I also took my long sanitized spoon and slowly stirred the cider to aid in getting a good mix. This seem's to have worked well for me. :mug:

Very good advice! :tank:

Excellent... Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. (Ha ha ha... I'm siting here trying to figure out how to make alcohol from scratch, but didn't know how to make concentrate.) I did actually try to "simmer" the water out of the juice, but it didn't work.

Simmering wouldn't do it - you'd need to boil off the extra water, which would also partly caramelize the sugars in the juice (which might be quite tasty for this recipe) - freezing is a better option to preserve the flavors.

Really pumped. Bottling this tonight with 3 cans of AJC and the caramel sauce. However, this fermented down to 1.01 in about a week and a half. Does it matter that it went so quickly?

Just a picture of my caramel sauce bubbling away earlier this morning

image-310056782.jpg

I have a batch of this cider fermenting and was thinking of putting a few bottles away for 6 months or till this time next year.
Has anyone tried this?

Latest posts

Back