Barn Board Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalnx

Reaction score
Well, here is the semi-finished product. You’ll have to excuse the hideous tap handles, I bought 5/16” inserts(should have been 3/8”) so I couldn’t make my tap handles, and had to improvise. This is a Magic Chef 5.5 cu. Ft freezer. The extra space along the right side is able to hold my 20# cylinder as well as a small CPU and power amp for the future addition of jukebox/Karoke. The freezer itself can hold 4 cornies, and I will be adding 2 more stainless Perlick faucets (4 total). Another added bonus is that I can upgrade to a 7.2 cu. ft freezer (6 cornies) in the future and put it in the same cabinet by just modifying the seal flange in the lid.

web_01.jpg

web_02.jpg

web_03.jpg

web_04.jpg

web_05.jpg

All the barn boards were scrubbed and covered in 2 coats of Minwax polycrylic. For the top surface the tin was inset flush, and then the entire top was covered with .100” Lexan, fastened with countersunk brass screws. The logo was painted on the inside surface of the Lexan as a mirror image. Tap handles will start this evening.

May be turning the family room in the basement into a matching sports bar………Ugh!

web_06.jpg

web_07.jpg

web_08.jpg

I also wanted the freezer to be easily removed and replaced in case it were to take a crap. Six screws removes the new collar/lid, and the freezer just lifts off the skid.

It's hard to tell how the original freezer lid lines up. Is the back of the wood collar notched around the hinges, rather than attached between the hinges and original lid??

I love it! Very nice use of reclaimed materials. The barn siding is great and that coupled with the tin makes it completely awesome. Very nice work! :mug:

looks great! especially considering you have your nice new keezer sitting right next to your kids toys? (someone had to call it out)

So as the kid(s) is/are playing you can be drinking...hopefully that won't spell disaster when you're not looking... Kids and taps and all...

It's hard to tell how the original freezer lid lines up. Is the back of the wood collar notched around the hinges, rather than attached between the hinges and original lid??

the original freezer lid has been completely replaced by the collar. The lid hinges are in their original placement, just screwed to the collar now. The original lid's seal seated into a dado, so I made a dado the same size on the inside flange of the collar to accept that, so it seals exactly like the original lid. No notching done on the collar, but the collar sides and top extend beyond the rear of the freezer to hide the condenser coil/hinges when it is rolled flush to the wall. here is a detailed pic. at this angle in the picture, the collar apears to not line up with the sides, but they actually are flush. optical illusion, because the collar is actually wider than the base and overlaps it vertically by a 1/2"

hinge_detail.jpg

looks great! especially considering you have your nice new keezer sitting right next to your kids toys? (someone had to call it out)

:cross: I knew that would happen! I should have cropped the photo. I actually am using a little toy bin on the floor for a drip tray untill I get some old galvanized rain gutter mounted. That stuff actually all needs to go! my kids are now 19,16, & 13. That stuff has just been hanging around for a few friends and inlaws with younger kids. That used to be the day care toy room, and it has been begging me to turn it into the home theatre room.:rockin:

Back