Wyeast 2112 California Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahbek

Reaction score
How long time should I expect fermentation to take with the Wyeast 2112 California Lager yeast? The fermeting temperature is 60 -62 degrees F. and the O.G. was about 1.052.

I will do two fermentations, i.e. rack to secondary when the fermentation slows down a bit, and then wait untill the beer seems clear and the bubbling stops. But how long time should I expect this to take?

Regards,

Christian Rahbek

Rahbek said:
How long time should I expect fermentation to take with the Wyeast 2112 California Lager yeast? The fermeting temperature is 60 -62 degrees F. and the O.G. was about 1.052.

I will do two fermentations, i.e. rack to secondary when the fermentation slows down a bit, and then wait untill the beer seems clear and the bubbling stops. But how long time should I expect this to take?

Regards,

Christian Rahbek
It should take just a bit longer than a normal ale fermentation. I've used 2112 several times, and thats what my brew logs tell me.

Yes, I was expecting a bit longer, but how much longer should I expect? I racked to secondary after about 10 day, when the fermantation seem to slow and now (12 days) the fermentation seems to be slowly bubbling along. Did you use a diacetyl rest and if you did; for how long and at what temperature?

Rahbek said:
Yes, I was expecting a bit longer, but how much longer should I expect? I racked to secondary after about 10 day, when the fermantation seem to slow and now (12 days) the fermentation seems to be slowly bubbling along. Did you use a diacetyl rest and if you did; for how long and at what temperature?
I just looked at my brew log, and I racked into the secondary after 13 days. No diacetyl rest, as at 60 degrees, that would be where a normal diacetal rest would be. What I did, and it worked like a champ, was: I added more yeast( krausen beer).Did you oxegenate your wort before pitching, and how much yeast was pitched?
Anyway, krausening really helped. I let it ferment for another week( in secondary), then reduced the temp gradually to lagering temp. This step seemed to work, but wasn't absolutely nessessary. If you're getting endless fermentation after 3 weeks, then its probably wild yeast. Ugh..
Hope this helps,
Tom

ja, w/ a less-than-attenuating yeast like the 2112/810 strains, you really need to make sure your pitch rates are high. otherwise, i'd treat it like any other lager concerning primary fermentation time. 2 weeks, then start taking gravity readings.

Back