Too hot at mash - effect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
Hey, had some technical difficulties with my thermometer, and my mash temp was upwards of 174. I got it down to 161 right now (30 min into mashing) and should be able to get it to mid/low 150s soon.

What is the effect of mashing at too high of temperature? Thanks

Gah, this is a cursed brew. Dropped my White Labs vial into my starter, and now this.

So will my OG give me any indication as to whether my brew is screwed? Or do I simply have to wait to read my FG?

Also, my recipe calls for brown sugar. Can I add a little extra to aid in fermentation?

The OG is a measure of sugar, period. It doesn't take into consideration how fermentable those sugars are. I think an iodine starch test would determine if you had conversion. By adding more brown sugar you will raise the OG and the yeast will be able to consume it. Not sure if it would do anything to lower the FG beyond what it will be at with the current conditions. Don't worry everyone has had at least one hell brew.

What you'll likely have is a beer that doesn't taste right, or you will have a great one. I did a mash that was too high of a temp and the beer came out tasting a little off, drinkable after a few other beers, but not great by any means. Again though, you may have something really good. Don't dump it. But get that temp down fast with some cold water!

It will be lower ABV, and more malty. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what you planned. While 174 was obviously way too high, you will get to learn something for the future. Carry on with it and use it as a learning tool. You might even find that you want to mash a bit higher than the normal temp in the future if you like what you taste. ;)

+1 on denaturing enzymes.

#1 your OG reading will indicate whether or not any enzymes survived the hot mash. Your OG will probably be a little low due to this.

#2 the sugars that DID convert will be pretty unfermentable due to the high temp.

OG was 1.052. Actually a little higher than expected. Can I be optimistic based on this, or is it still just that there's sugar there, but not necessarily fermentable sugar?

OG was 1.052. Actually a little higher than expected. Can I be optimistic based on this, or is it still just that there's sugar there, but not necessarily fermentable sugar?

That you wont know til it ferments.

Is your thermometer accurate?

First time using the thermometer. It's digital, so I hope so. It is accurate for reading a boil temperature. Not sure how to gauge accuracy otherwise, since it's my only thermometer

Back