Please critique this recipe... American APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
Type: All Grain
Date: 10/16/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Tony
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 36.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.36 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 38.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile
Strike Temp @ 170*F
Mash at 153*F fro 60 minutes with 12.5 quarts of water (1.25qt/lb)
Sparge Water: 6.68 gal (split into two equal batch sparges)
Sparge Temperature: 185.0 F

Any Issues you guys see? I'll be doing this next week either way, but I just thought I'd run it by you fine folks...

i think I lost a 15 minute addition while I was playing with my hops schedule... i was going to do a half oz. each of cascade/centennial at 15...

I should probably review my beersmith recipe before posting it.

Thanks!

I would 1 oz centennial @ 60, .5oz @ 15, all the cascade @ 5 and dry hop with amarillo or something similar... that will up your IBUS to over 40.

+1 to dry hopping but more cascade or centennial would be fine. And, of course, a starter will only improve things as will ferm temps in the hi 60s.

cb

I also agree with the 15 minute addition. I noticed that was missing and that your IBUs looked a little low. That half/half ounce of Cascades and Centennial sound pretty good.

I also recommend dry hopping. If you don't like that sort of aroma, then don't mess with it, but APAs sure get a great hop snap. An ounce or two for 7-10 days (depending on what you like) works nicely.

TL

We will be dry hopping with an oz of cascade and centennial. My main concern for this recipe was getting the all grain recipe down, since this will be our first all grain session. I chose a FWH for the bittering to give it a smoother bitterness than a 60 minute boil. The Crystal 60L and Carapils will hopefully give us some good body and head retention.

As far as doing a 30 minute hop addition, I don't want to go crazy on the IBU's with this batch, since this is going to be one of our staple recipes. Additions at 15 min, 5 min, 1 minute and dry hopping with cascade and centennial should give it some great flavor and aroma.

You guys agree?

Two things:

Is your boil-off really that high? 1.33 - 1.5 gallons per hour is pretty average. To have a pre-boil volume of 8 gallons and finish with 5.5 gallons over a 60 minute boil is pretty darn high? Is the 5.5 gallons including losses from hops, false bottom, chiller, etc? If so, those losses should be taken into account after the pre-boil volume, not before it. Its important because it might screw with you water calculations in your mash and it might make you miss your target OG.

If you like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and cascade aroma, you could try adding a huge amount of cascade (like 2 ounces) at 0 minutes and just leave them there while chilling. This gives the brew a huge cascade aroma and a small amount of flavor. I have done this lot with great success but with hop prices these days I would understand if you were hesitant to try it out.

Two things:

Is your boil-off really that high? 1.33 - 1.5 gallons per hour is pretty average. To have a pre-boil volume of 8 gallons and finish with 5.5 gallons over a 60 minute boil is pretty darn high? Is the 5.5 gallons including losses from hops, false bottom, chiller, etc? If so, those losses should be taken into account after the pre-boil volume, not before it. Its important because it might screw with you water calculations in your mash and it might make you miss your target OG.

I used the median for boil off % from beer smith. I can adjust for 1.5 gallons boil off, and probably top off if it doesnt hurt my OG.

Latest posts

Back