Local beer swap-o-rama!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mean to be a jack*&s or anything. I just want everyone to do a quick double check. You don't need to email the place, I think that's too much work. If you accidentally ship some that is distroed at the recipients area it will ultimately be ok.

Shipping with fed ex will usually be cheaper that. Ups. I'd expect shipping around 45$ish fed ex if its going far and probably $60ish for ups.

Can't wait to go shopping! =]

TheMan said:
I don't mean to be a jack*&s or anything. I just want everyone to do a quick double check. You don't need to email the place, I think that's too much work. If you accidentally ship some that is distroed at the recipients area it will ultimately be ok.

You def aren't. It took me all of 2 mins to email the breweries and i have the time so its really not a hassle for me. I def don't expect everyone to do this. just me being OC. And I agree I won't be upset at all if I get a beer I can get locally its still beer!!

ZamaMan said:
Shipping with fed ex will usually be cheaper that. Ups. I'd expect shipping around 45$ish fed ex if its going far and probably $60ish for ups.

Can't wait to go shopping! =]

Thanks for the tip. Will go with FedEx.

Someone's getting some Deeeeeliciius treats from Long Island. Found a few things I've never ever seen before this week!

As long as everyone tries their best to check if stuff I distributed where their buddy is i'm cool with it. There's always access (Heady Topper isnt usually anywhere near me but someone made a trip and my beer guy hooked me up) or maybe the person traveled and tried some of the more popular stuff before.

Don't think anyone will be too unhappy as long as their not getting something like bud/coors etc which I certainly wouldn't expect.

this might be a dumb question but...i never shipped cans before, do you guys still wrap them up in bubble wrap and bags?

Put em in a zip lock bag, then bubble wrap. That's what a lot of people do. While the zip lock doesnt totally prevent liquid from escaping, it helps.

Put em in a zip lock bag, then bubble wrap. That's what a lot of people do. While the zip lock doesnt totally prevent liquid from escaping, it helps.

Yeah I've been shrink wrapping bottles I send. Figured the similar packaging for cans but wanted to see what y'all do. Thanks. Can't wait to hit the store for this trade going to be awesome!

This couldn't have happened on a better weekend. I plan to just over buy for memorial day BBQ. Then ill have a bigger assortment to send.

If your recipient has a style preference are you guys gonna give them all that style or mix it up?

If your recipient has a style preference are you guys gonna give them all that style or mix it up?

Im planning on mixing it up but using his preferences as the core of the box. Like if they like ipas and stouts I'm going to buy lots of Hoppy beers and stouts as the main chunk but might toss in a brown ale, red ale, porter ect as a few bottles if I feel they are great enough where they should try it even if its not they favorite style.

That's what I figured. I couldn't wait any longer so I went out tonight and got a lot of bottles! Though I'm not sure if I'm 100% satisfied. Man this is cool.

Had a tough time myself finding the stuff I wanted... I found a great and fresh bomber of an iipa that was on my shopping list along with one single on my list. I will have to go to another bottle shop this weekend for a few more things. Unfortunately most things I wanna get are bombers so the pocket book says ouch..... =|

I've got about half my shipment put together just from my personal stash. Hoping to get to the bottle shop this weekend. There's a great one just across the IL/WI border that allows you to build your own mixed six with any of their 12 oz beers so I'm gonna try to get up there.

Got all my cans, now just need to pack n ship.

Six different brews from three Mid Atlantic breweries. One Baltimore brew pub that only distributes in MD and PA; one Philly area brewery that only distributes in PA, NY, NJ, and DE; one DC brewery that's only found in DC and NOVA.

No spoiler, just building anticipation. Should be a good box for someone.

coldcrash said:

Six different brews from three Mid Atlantic breweries. One Baltimore brew pub that only distributes in MD and PA; one Philly area brewery that only distributes in PA, NY, NJ, and DE; one DC brewery that's only found in DC and NOVA.

<--- jealous.

Or excited it could be mine..... Damn I like this idea thanks again theman.

coldcrash said:

Did you do all cans?

I thought I was going to be heavy on the cans but majority of mine are bottles.

You know it didn't even occur to me to do surrounding state beers that the recipient can't get was just keeping it in state within a few hours drive of me! Might have to go back to bottle shop now.

Yup all cans. Ironically, the one in-state beer i chose is actually the furthest of the three from where I live.

I'm only "technically" in PA, walking distance to MD which is where I work, do most of my shopping (buy beer), etc.

So they're all kinda localish in my mind but, yeah as long as your recip doesn't have access to what you're sending I think it's all good.

coldcrash said:
Yup all cans. Ironically, the one in-state beer i chose is actually the furthest of the three from where I live.

I'm only "technically" in PA, walking distance to MD which is where I work, do most of my shopping (buy beer), etc.

So they're all kinda localish in my mind but, yeah as long as your recip doesn't have access to what you're sending I think it's all good.

I'm doing some surrounding states too that I still consider local. I'm closer to WI than to Chicago so it's easy to get up there for some stuff that doesn't distribute out of the state. And NW IN had an awesome brewery with limited distribution so I had to include some of that :)

Picked up some today but need to hit a few more stores. A lot of the canned at my usual place is from non local breweries so ill be hitting up the big chain liquor store soon. This is fun though and hard to not over buy and save some for myself!

I find it weird that you guys are able to get craft brews in cans. I can think of less than a handful of beers that come out of a can that are worth drinking. My lucky recipient is going to get a case of bombers because that's all I can get.

You know it didn't even occur to me to do surrounding state beers that the recipient can't get was just keeping it in state within a few hours drive of me! Might have to go back to bottle shop now.

Not sure who is sending to me but I am the only person from CT so you may be able yo figure it out. I travel to WI often and never to IL so if my beers don't come from WI that would be great.

Being in Georgia I have access to lot of breweries that will only distribute to the southeast. Some of the breweries I have acess to are Red Hare (GA exclusive with only cans), Sweetwater (bottles), Terrapin (bottles), Red Brick (Most underrated brewery I America IMHO. bottles), Monday Night Eye Patch (bottles/may have cans), Blue Tarp (Newest Brewery in GA and I have not been able to get my hands on it yet). All of the breweries naturally have a limited distribution and a few have to be hunted. If TheMan allows it I would love to trade so I could get a good feel of how my local breweries hold up to others.

Was hoping to have mine shipped tomorrow but ran out of bubble wrap tonight so will have to wait till Wednesday to ship.

Was hoping to have mine shipped tomorrow but ran out of bubble wrap tonight so will have to wait till Wednesday to ship.

I'll have mine shipped Wednesday as well. I have all the beer, but I pack it all up at work (free shipping supplies!) And since I am working 3 a.m. to 6 p.m. ill be plenty busy and didn't want to overlook something and pack it badly. I'll be able to take my time tomorrow.

I never shipped beer before. I was planning on shipping them in a 12-pack box. Since I'm only shipping 10, I'll add two empties to fill it out. I was going to line the bottom with bubble wrap and fill the empty space at the top with crumpled up paper. Then tape the **** out of it. Do you guys think that the beer will make it there ok? Should I put each bottle in a ziplock to help prevent spillage if one breaks?

I wrap every bottle in protective bubble wrap or some other barrier. Never had a broken bottle. Be sure you fill ALL empty space. Then shake the box to see if it moves. If stuff moves inside. Then its not sufficient.

I've seen some pretty skimpy packing as well, and it made it here. I think there is some luck involved. If you don't have a guy toss your box, then kick it, then sit on it, you will be fine.

NormPeterson said:
Being in Georgia I have access to lot of breweries that will only distribute to the southeast. Some of the breweries I have acess to are Red Hare (GA exclusive with only cans), Sweetwater (bottles), Terrapin (bottles), Red Brick (Most underrated brewery I America IMHO. bottles), Monday Night Eye Patch (bottles/may have cans), Blue Tarp (Newest Brewery in GA and I have not been able to get my hands on it yet). All of the breweries naturally have a limited distribution and a few have to be hunted. If TheMan allows it I would love to trade so I could get a good feel of how my local breweries hold up to others.

Hey Norm I think this will be a reoccurring thing so this round is filled up but I'm sure you can get in on the next one.

LovesIPA said:
I never shipped beer before. I was planning on shipping them in a 12-pack box. Since I'm only shipping 10, I'll add two empties to fill it out. I was going to line the bottom with bubble wrap and fill the empty space at the top with crumpled up paper. Then tape the **** out of it. Do you guys think that the beer will make it there ok? Should I put each bottle in a ziplock to help prevent spillage if one breaks?

Yeah I put every bottle in its own zip lock bag then bubble wrap them. I also line all sides of box with bubble wrap and then fill in empty space with paper or plastic bags. Like TheMan said if you shake your box and nothing shifts you should be good.

Put it this way, lovesipa, if a bottle breaks then they will have the box returned to you. If you opt not to replace the bottle, then you just pay to have it reshipped to your destination...which is prob $30 or more. If you are replacing the bottle too, then add that cost.

At a minimum its likely a $40 mistake if your bottle breaks. So $10 in extra packing materials is kind of a deal.

Back