Recovering from a bad day at work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I fill in at several different places, so I don't work very often and not often at the same place. But there is a place that I've always loved until recently. I won't bother with the details, but corporate takeovers, er partnerships mean lots of unhappy employees and then of course customers.

Anyway, I only have to work there a few more days this year, but it's still unpleasant.

I'm home, drinking bad beer, and listening to my favorite wallowing music- Tom Waits. It's the perfect way to wallow in pathetic morose drunkenness. And I love it. :mug:

I fill in at several different places, so I don't work very often and not often at the same place. But there is a place that I've always loved until recently. I won't bother with the details, but corporate takeovers, er partnerships mean lots of unhappy employees and then of course customers.

Anyway, I only have to work there a few more days this year, but it's still unpleasant.

I'm home, drinking bad beer, and listening to my favorite wallowing music- Tom Waits. It's the perfect way to wallow in pathetic morose drunkenness. And I love it. :mug:

RDWHAGoodHB and try to forget about it. At least until the next time you have to work there.

First the band-aids and now this. Not your week.

Plan your next batch - that always makes me feel better :)

You're at home now with Bob and a Beer. I'll assume everthing is just a little bit better. Leaving work behind is sometimes difficult, but at least it's not that often.
Hope you're evening goes well.
Bull

By the way, I just tapped the newest IPA and WOW is it big and bitter!:D

Rye PA sounds awesome!

Just imagine having a job where it's hell every day. You can power through a few a year. You have beer on your side!

Rye PA sounds awesome!

Just imagine having a job where it's hell every day. You can power through a few a year. You have beer on your side!

Yep- today is my last day in that hellhole. Er, I mean, office, until I think November.

And tonight, we're going right out to the cottage for a fish fry and good music and a boat ride around the lake. :rockin:

Yep- today is my last day in that hellhole. Er, I mean, office, until I think November.

And tonight, we're going right out to the cottage for a fish fry and good music and a boat ride around the lake. :rockin:

Well now you are just making MY day seem awful! :mug:

Well now you are just making MY day seem awful! :mug:

Haha. Well today did suck, 90% of the time. But when I got home, Bob was ready to go and we came out to the cottage. It's a beautiful evening, and he made a great dinner (with the aforementioned fish and veggies from his garden) and we drank wine and relaxed. I have a good book, great music, and great beer on tap.

But Tom Waits is still playing on my Spotify account..................:D

Sorry you're having a crappy day. Hope tomorrow is better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax & have a drink

I use to complain about my 3 hour commute, dealing w/ stress everyday, dealing with, ahh, err, let's just say folks who think they are more important than they really are, but now ever since the dismal economic times, many in my field being out of work for months, if not years, and the downfall of the stock market, I'm as happy as a pig in mud.

As my grandfather use to say "I use to complain about not having shoes until I met the man with no feet".

The glass is always 1/2 full ........................... of homebrew.

I just can't understand how listening to Tom Waits can cheer a person up...

I know what you mean- but I explained it to Bob this way. It's sad, morose, and brooding music and it just makes me feel so much better about my situation. It's like listening to the blues.

Plus I just love Tom Waits.

Today is brewday. I changed my mind about the rye pale ale, and I'm going to brew my house IPA (the DFH clone). The sun is shining, it's going to be 83 degrees and life is good.

Better to have a bad day at work than a bad day at life.

Enjoy the brew day Yooper! (I still have to wait 2 more for mine)

Brew day will be fun. I did a double this weekend and will do another again soon as my friend's daughter makes a date to join me. Got a fun evening planned tonight anyway. And I suspect there will be some beer involved. Back to work. Got lots to do before I can cut out early.

Just remember, your worst day at work is still better than your best day being mauled by a rabid wolverine.

Honestly I can't remember the last time I had a "good" day at work. Not that being a slave to corporate America was ever really a pleasant way to spend ones time but man, over the last ten years or so it has really declined into something just sort of torture masked by contrived corporate "compliance". But, I just try to tell myself things like "it's a job, nobody said I was supposed to like it", "I'm lucky to even have a job in today's economy", etc... it doesn't really help that much but it's the only solace I can give myself from the hell I live in on the day to day. Hang in there Yooper and believe me when I say it could be worse.

:mug:

Honestly I can't remember the last time I had a "good" day at work. Not that being a slave to corporate America was ever really a pleasant way to spend ones time but man, over the last ten years or so it has really declined into something just sort of torture masked by contrived corporate "compliance". But, I just try to tell myself things like "it's a job, nobody said I was supposed to like it", "I'm lucky to even have a job in today's economy", etc... it doesn't really help that much but it's the only solace I can give myself from the hell I live in on the day to day. Hang in there Yooper and believe me when I say it could be worse.

:mug:

I decided that I'm not ever going back there after last week, so I feel pretty good about it!

I'm still filling in at a few other places, and for the most part enjoy it. I have very very short days this week, though- 3.25 hours today and Wednesday, and 2 hours on Thursday (different places). So, not many hours but since they are different places that utilize different skills, it's fun. Today and Wednesday, I work at the "Wellness Center"- an exercise facility for patients with cardiac history who graduated from Cardiac Rehab. On Thursday, I'm filling in during a meeting in the hospital's registration department. I really like the people at both places, and have a pretty long-standing relationship with the patients at the Wellness Center since most of them have been coming for many years. It's an enjoyable way to make a few dollars for brewing supplies.

I brought some cucumbers and eggplant to work today to give out to the patients who wanted them. It's fun!

All I ever say is "I was looking for a job when I found this one."

Last time I said that I spent 4 years looking for another job, and dammit I found it.

Good for you to cut and run.

I've been at my current company for 3 year and 9 months now. I'm not sure I've actually ever had a "good" day at work. Maybe the closest I've come is saying I left work in as mediocre a mood as I arrived in.

It's a bad work situation. But the local job market is worse. If I had any other option I would quit tomorrow. Sometimes you just gotta keep on keeping on, till something better comes along.

I've always been a proponent of leaving work at work...really hard to do for most, I'd guess....but work is work for most people...no use in letting it take over your real life! I try and have things to look forward to, whether it be a nice night at home with the wife, cooking a delish dinner, or planning a brew day...have to create some things to look forward to when the day is done

Way I look at it, there's very few people who have or will have jobs they love...most are stuck for 40+ years in the grind...better to make the best of our time out of work!

I've always been a proponent of leaving work at work...really hard to do for most, I'd guess....but work is work for most people...no use in letting it take over your real life! I try and have things to look forward to, whether it be a nice night at home with the wife, cooking a delish dinner, or planning a brew day...have to create some things to look forward to when the day is done

Way I look at it, there's very few people who have or will have jobs they love...most are stuck for 40+ years in the grind...better to make the best of our time out of work!

That used to be my outlook as well. Now my wife works with me at the same company. We're usually on opposite sides of the building, but now that we both work in the same ****hole, its doubly depressing, and difficult to leave work at work. I've been actively searching for and applying for jobs for the better part of 3 years now. Only had 2 interviews so far, neither panned out.

What can you do, right?

Back