If It's Not Scottish, It's Crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat Brewmeister

Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
11 days at 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68F
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81.0 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
10.1 1.00 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
2.5 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
5.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L Great Britain 1.034 60
1.3 0.13 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.25 oz. Pacific Gem Whole 13.60 15.2 90 min.
0.25 oz. Pacific Gem Whole 13.60 4.7 20 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.25 4.3 20 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Saccharification Rest Temp : 156 Time: 60
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 30

I have tweaked this a few times, switching to the Scottish Wyeast, a lower fermentation temperature, and using Golden Promise malt. After the runnings clear, I collect the first 2 quarts and carmelize by boiling it down to 1 quart. The raisin-like flavor from the Special B and the carmelization are accentuated by the dark berry flavor from the Pacific Gem hops. It was a 3rd place recipe that will hopefully improve with the ingredient switches.

I like the title... and that recipe looks great. I like a lot of the things you're doing there.

You said you won 3rd place with a version of that recipe?

And out of curiosity, what characteristics does pacific gem lend to the beer? How's it compare with the more traditional noble hops?

Pacific Gem has a blackberry type flavor to it. I read that it also can pass some of it on even used as a full boil hop. I use it for both full boil and flavor so I can't verify how much flavor it passes as a full boil hop.

It is also organic and disease resistant, so I hear that some UK breweries have been using them.

They are high alpha and also high cohumulone, so not like the noble hops. I can't think of a hop it is similar to.

It goes good in this style because of the dark fruit flavor of the hop plus the Special B. Would go good in a bitter also (I think Evan made one).

I brewed for several years before ever entering a contest. This exact recipe and my IPA were the ones I entered and both took third. I am reentering it this year as a Wee Heavy. I added more base malt (and switched to Golden Promise) and some extra hops to balance plus switched to Scottish yeast. It is in a keg now and needs a little aging, but it is pretty good right now.

I like the grain bill on this one so I am making it this afernoon. I had to change the hops on it and I am using dry yeast so it won't be exactly the same, but I am sparging now and it looks and smells great. I am making a 6 gallon batch. I increased the 2 row to 10 pounds due to poor efficiency of my square cooler batch sparge on a budget system, and added a scoup of cara red to make it 13 pounds total. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Back